Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Approach at intermediate Airport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Approach at intermediate Airport
    Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 6:54pm
I have noticed a problem with the way the IFD handles approaches at intermediate airports and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this also. If your route has Dept Airport, 1st Airport & Second Airport in it...you load a "Vectors to final" approach at the 1st airport, it will not draw anything close to a final approach course. Also there is no way to activate that approach via the FMS page. It has happened two different times to me and my only sure fire fix to get the approach to load correctly is to delete the second airport so that the 1st airport is the final destination.
Anyone seen this??
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 9:15pm
I certainly haven't seen anything like that.

First I put both airports and the approach for each in the flight plan. Then I go to the FMS page, scroll to the airport and approach I want, select the Vectors to Final line, and then press the Activate VTF line select key.

Is that what you're doing?

Mike
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 9:47pm
Thanks Mike! Just ran hit your way on the sim and it worked good. On a typical flight to one destination I had been in the habit of using PROC selecting the approach then vectors to final then going to the FMS page and press the activate approach prompt. That prompt does not exist when it is an intermediate airport.
Thanks for letting me know another way to accomplish what I needed. I do notice that when selecting the approach and vectors to final (before activating VTF) in neither case does it draw the final approach extension (until you highlight VTF and activate it your way...). Whereas when there is only one destination it will draw the final ... Don't know if that makes sense...
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 10:49pm
Hmmmm....   I'm using the sim and it's showing the final approach course on all VTF approaches, even if I put several airports in a flight plan. Have you tried going to the FMS page, tapping the MAP tab on the left side to show the flight plan map, and then pressing the View line select key to select View Cursor mode? When you do that you can then select the elements of the flight plan and sequence through each one on the map. The VTF legs show up pretty clearly.

I think the best practice for activating an approach is to load the approach and then go direct to an initial approach fix, or select the leg you want to join and use the Activate Leg or Activate VTF line select key to make it the current leg. Then there are no surprises. The Activate Approach key is less specific; I don't use it. That method works for me anyway. And always make sure the leg you want to fly is magenta. That means it's the current leg.

Mike
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 11:08pm
310pilot, can you provide the flight plan you are seeing these issues with?  I don't see the problem you are experiencing either.
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 11:17pm
Sure. You can duplicate what I'm seeing by entering a departure airport of KEHR and a destination of KLOU. Once the sim is flying toward KLOU insert KSDF as intermediate airport but do not activate leg to KSDF. Press Proc Key a few times until KSDF comes up and select 17L then select vectors to final. You will not see a line to final drawn. And if you go into FMS you won't see "Activate Approach".
I understand how you guys are doing it and learned something so thanks. It should work both ways tho...
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 1:44am
Here is what I'm seeing:
If you are on a leg to or prior to an intermediate airport, the vectors work fine to that intermediate airport.
If you are on a leg after an intermediate airport, the vector does does not show up.
The vector shows up for the destination airport regardless if you are direct to it or not (because by definition you are navigating on a leg to or prior to that airport).

I believe what you are seeing is that the FMS believes you will not actually fly to that intermediate airport because you skipped it in the flight plan by being on a leg in the flight plan after the airport you are setting up your approach for.  It is going to think you want to fly the leg you are on then continue with the flight plan and ignore any earlier legs in the flight plan.  In your case above, once you activate VTF, you changed the leg in the flight plan you are navigating on back to the intermediate airport that you were previously skipping, that is why it then shows up.  Any waypoints you add prior to your current leg do not matter for the FMS; it will add them to the flight plan, but will ignore them.

Edited by brou0040 - 24 Jul 2016 at 1:44am
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by 310pilot 310pilot wrote:

Sure. You can duplicate what I'm seeing by entering a departure airport of KEHR and a destination of KLOU. Once the sim is flying toward KLOU insert KSDF as intermediate airport but do not activate leg to KSDF. Press Proc Key a few times until KSDF comes up and select 17L then select vectors to final. You will not see a line to final drawn. And if you go into FMS you won't see "Activate Approach".
I understand how you guys are doing it and learned something so thanks. It should work both ways tho...

As you describe it, it sounds like KSDF is not on your flight plan since you did not activate the leg to it.  If it's not, then no white or magenta line should appear on the map page going to or from KSDF.  If that's so, it would make sense that no flight plan segments would be depicted either, since no part of the approach at KSDF could be part of the flight plan if KSDF itself is not.

Make KSDF a part of the flight plan by activating the leg to it, and any approaches you make at KSDF should appear as modifications to the original direct-to route to KSDF you established when you activated the leg to KSDF.

Edited by Catani - 24 Jul 2016 at 6:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic