Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S tec 60-2 and IFD in LPV procedures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrenwhis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S tec 60-2 and IFD in LPV procedures
    Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 7:08pm
I posted for help sometime ago needing help withautopilot procedures. I was familiar with Garmin GNS 430 and found the new Avidyne system complex in comparison. I would like to relate my experience in the hope of helping other newbies.
Punching the proc button and choosing the approach is straight fwd. it isnt intuitive to me to then need to go to the lower left corner to then activate the approach. Delete comes up as an option here as well.
The display then goes to the FMS page where you can see the sequence of the waypoints. It always seems to include a procedure turn at the IAF. If you want to skip that, highlight it and then delete it, again inthe left hand lower corner of the display.
If you are coming in at less than a 45 degree angle and you dont like procedure turns. Choose vectors to the IAF. Fly to the IAF using the heading bug, line up on the course and then switch to NAV (and GPSS) mode. This should take you to the nest fix. Use VS mode and try to hit your step down altitude as closely as possible at the FAF. Somewhere in this space the autopilot will go into GS mode and fly the glidepath. Remember you must be in NAV mode not HDG! Your annunciator will say you are in terminal, then switch to LPV.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:13pm
The IFD includes the procedure turn unless you are either on a "NoPT" entry or you are on vectors to final.

You can always select Direct-to for a waypoint in the approach beyond the procedure turn if you don't want to fly the procedure as published.  You don't need to delete it.

You never need to select "activate approach".  As soon as you enter the approach in a viable direction, it activates itself.

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 5:08pm
Procedure Turns and HILPTs are required maneuvers if depicted unless you are on a NoPT segment or coming in via a TAA, or if you are on vectors to final, or if ATC specifically clears you for "straight-in".  When in doubt, ask.  But you can't just skip the procedure turn because you are less than a 45 deg angle and "don't like procedure turns."  it seems silly, but you could actually be straight in on the final approach heading but still be required to fly the HILPT if you are cleared to the IAF without the words "straight-in" and you are not on a NoPT segment. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic