Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boot failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boot failure
    Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 5:48pm
Planned to take a flight this morning, but noticed that my IFD540 was still on the Avidyne splash screen several minutes after powerup.  Multiple power cycles resulted in different behaviors, but I never got past the splash screen.

Differing behaviors included:
1)  Shortly after power application, sometimes CDI needles/indicators would deflect as expected; sometimes not all needles/indicators deflected; sometimes CDI did not move
2)  Sometimes the Avidyne splash screen appeared normally.  Sometimes, it was corrupted (once, "Avidyne" was split/skewed, like the horizontal hold on an old TV was misadjusted--the bottom part of the logo appeared above the top part of the logo; another time, the bottom half of the display had a white "snow" pattern)
3)  Sometimes, the boot seemed to halt and the screen appeared frozen.  Sometimes, the boot seemed to be looping and the screen would flash.  (Video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLvf76_fXNs)

I was able to boot into Maintenance Mode by inserting a USB thumbdrive.  Thinking this might have fixed it, I tried to reboot the box using the touchscreen buttons.  The box powered down briefly, as expected, but when it came back on it still said "Switching..." and otherwise looked like I was still in Maintenance Mode, but was unresponsive.  (I tried this twice with the same behavior both times.)

Of about 4 or 5 attempts to boot into Maintenance Mode, I was only successful the first time I tried and the last time I tried.  When I was able to get into MM the second time, I downloaded the logs, tried again (unsuccessfully) to reboot into flight mode, then shut down all power and gave up on flying for the day.

The box seemed to work fine a week ago (last time I flew).  Plane's been sitting in the hangar since then.  Only potentially anomalous behavior I noticed was some flashing pixels in the upper-left corner of the screen.  I don't remember the behavior exactly, but it was only one row of pixels, and maybe a half-inch long at most.  I noticed similar behavior when the screen was "looping"; I actually zoomed in a bit on that region of the screen in the video linked above.

Guess I'll be on the phone to tech support Monday morning...

Edited by MysticCobra - 15 Oct 2016 at 5:54pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:11pm
Frustrating day for you. Be sure to post what you find out, I suspect you are looking at a hardware issue.

* Orest

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 5:26pm
Yup.  Tech support reviewed the logs this morning and confirmed a hardware issue.  Process in work to get a replacement now.
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:08pm
Thanks for updating. How old was your unit?
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 10:31pm
It was actually a refurbished unit that replaced a previously-failed one earlier this year.  (The previous failure was due to an installer wiring error.)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

... (The previous failure was due to an installer wiring error.)

Oh dear, they "let the smoke out", you can never get it back in !

That happened on my plane too, but not on something so pricey as a 540.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic