Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 540 Aural Alert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEisert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 540 Aural Alert
    Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:09pm
I assume that the IFD 540 should be giving me aural alerts during different conditions such as a 500' altitude during an approach. Mine is not doing that. Is this a functionality that comes with 10.2? Or perhaps the unit is not wired correctly. Any help would be appreciated.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:21pm
First step would be to verify the wiring to the audio panel. The current release supports the 500' call out.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:27pm
You can go to the audio volume page. Changing the volume will result in aural annunciations of the level. If you don't hear them, you very likely have a wiring issue, or some other similar issue.

(Pilot Guide, pp. 4-1 - 4.2)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Feb 2017 at 4:27pm
FEisert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEisert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:27pm
Ok, it sounds like the wiring to the panel would not be the same as the typical coms wiring. Could you lead me to correct section in the install manual?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:42pm
You need one additional wire pair from the IFD to an unswitched (or switched) audio input on your audio panel.

There are are two audio output ports on the IFD, clearly outlined in the docs. They both have an identical audio data output. One mirrors the electrical audio output of a full GNS unit TAWS setup, the other is unique to the IFD. Doesn't seem to matter which you use, they just have slightly different impedance levels. 

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Feb 2017 at 5:54pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 6:32pm
Order:

Could that choice be causing a very echo-like audible I'm getting on the airspace and 500 ft alert annuciations? I'm thinking impedance mismatch?

Edited by ddgates - 28 Feb 2017 at 6:32pm
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic