Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD440 to IFD540 Transition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD440 to IFD540 Transition
    Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 10:02pm
Last year I installed an IFD440 in my Cherokee Six. I liked it so much that when I bought a Baron a few weeks ago I had an IFD540 waiting at my home airport to replace the GNS530 as soon as I landed when bringing it home. Now I'm learning the subtle differences between the 440 and the 540. On of which is:

On the 440 when you rotate the frequency knob, the list of suggested frequencies opens (which has the needed frequency about 70% of the time). Rotating the big multi-function knob moves between pages of frequencies ("Airport", "Enroute", and "Recent"). Rotating the small multi-function knob scrolls through the list of presented options. However, on the 540 both the big and small multi-function knobs do the same thing, i.e. scroll down the list of presented options. To change tabs from Airport to Enroute to Recent, the "Freq" button must be repeatedly pressed. What is the logic of having both knobs do the same thing? I like the 440 multi-function knob logic better.

Regarding the auto-population of suggested frequencies when the left knob is rotated, I understand that the 540 has a handy-dandy "Freq" button. But, it might be nice to have an option in the Setup for the list to auto-populate.
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic