Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Connecting FltPlanGo to Stratux and IFD-540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting FltPlanGo to Stratux and IFD-540
    Posted: 05 May 2017 at 5:36pm
I configured my IFD-540 to connect to the stratux network, and set my iPad to connect to stratux. From the FltPlan Go app, I can connect to the IFD-540 and send flight plans to it. It's using stratux as a wifi router. When I then try to connect FltPlan Go to Stratux, it does connect, but the connection to the Avidyne is lost.

I think this is a FltPlan Go problem, and I will pursue it with them, but thought I'd post on here to see if anyone has actually tried this or got this to work.

This would be similar to running Foreflight with a Stratus and also connecting to the IFD.  Has anyone successfully done that?
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:41pm
I guess connecting to two separate devices simultaneously via WIFI from the iPad is a non-starter.  I don't know why I thought this would work.

Edited by pburger - 07 May 2017 at 10:42pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 5:09pm
Yes, I discovered the same - this is an iPad limitation, not being able to hook into more than one WiFi at a time.

Even the converse is frustrating - Can't have more than one App on a particular WiFi simultaneously.  Its a bit of a pain going between IFD100, FltPln,Go, FlyQ, or ForeFlight.

I have been able to Upload & download Flt Plans using FltPln.Go & 540, but not yet with ForeFlight or FlyQ.

In fact, more frustrating for me is the spontaneous deletion of User Wpts.  I posted this, and suspect it is an Avidyne WiFi internal issue maybe with v10.2, or could be the iPad App like IFD100 or FlyQ over WiFi causing the Wpt deletions...

Any ideas welcome.

Tom W.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:57pm
You should be able to set the IFD540 to connect to the Stratux, and then connect your iPad to the Stratux, and have one big happy family. 

I don't have 10.2 and don't have an iPad, so can't tell you how to do it, but Simpson has said before that it's designed to work that way.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:20pm
Yes, you can, for the most part. I have a Stratux, but the principle is the same for anyone using a Stratus as well.

I got the IFD100 running and talking to my IFD540, with the IFD540 set to run as a wifi client. Other apps can simultaneously  talk to the Stratux, for ADS-B and GPS location. Alternately FltPlan GO/iOS can be made to talk to the IFD540 in this configuration, but you have to switch it back & forth.

So, it is all possible, vis a vis the IFD540. The apps just need to be able to take advantage of it.

Steps are as follows ...

Configure the IFD540 for client mode, you must set your Stratux (or Stratus) wifi SSID and password (if any), all in the IFD540 maintenance pages.

Start up your Stratux/s and IFD540. Accept WiFi & BT connectivity on IFD540 bootup, as usual. The IFD540 will automatically log into the Stratux/s wifi network. Best to use an app like FING, to ensure the IFD540 is actually there, you can identify it by its appearance. Mine uses a Texas Instrument wifi chip, probably all of them do.

Done. It should just now work.

Note that apps that do not yet support two way flightplan transfer, like Foreflight, will NOT see the IFD540 to transfer plans up & down, or even down, in this configuration. They will only work with the IFD540 being the wifi provider. It is just a software thing, for the moment.

And Flightplan GO/iOS works, but Fltplan GO/android has not been updated yet, and won't work.

Hope that helps.

* Orest

Tommylewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommylewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:46pm
To add a couple more steps to complete the process.  When you activate  FltPlan Go, select External along left side menu, select Avidyne and watch app logon, then go to NavLogs along left side menu, select flight plan to upload, then select uparrow at top of screen and when Avidyne displays a message, approve it with enter key.

I have an EchoUAT in an experimental plane and it works exactly like Orest described in the previous post.

Tom Lewis
RV7a & RV10
Granbury, TX
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Tommylewis Tommylewis wrote:

To add a couple more steps to complete the process.  When you activate  FltPlan Go, select External along left side menu, select Avidyne and watch app logon, then go to NavLogs along left side menu, select flight plan to upload, then select uparrow at top of screen and when Avidyne displays a message, approve it with enter key.

I have an EchoUAT in an experimental plane and it works exactly like Orest described in the previous post.

Last step not even needed.  Just select "External" to connect, then upload directly from the FP Edit menu (upper left arrows) through your synched WiFi.

The v10.2 bug I am experiencing appears to be a defect in the 'Cross-Synch' between the dual 540's.  When this is off, or only one unit is on, I can then upload a FP without losing the Routes or User Wpts.  Avidyne tells me this bug may need either a renewed C-Flash Memory or new v10.2... or be returned to factory for exchange unit!

Tom W.
AndyMeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 7:18pm
I've got a Stratux feeding the IFD540 via serial (CP2102 in the Stratux)... IFD is the master for the WiFi...
I can transfer flightplans to/from the IFD and Foreflight while also using the IFD100... Great setup. 

Another option (if you don't have it wired) is to set up userconfig 1 as WiFi master and userconfig 2 as Wifi Client to the stratux... Flip back and forth as needed - and same with your iPad... Master to crossfill to/from Forflight, slave to get data from the stratux to both the iPad and the IFD. A little cumbersome, but an option.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic