Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

G500 SUSP problem w/ 2 IFD 540s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msflygood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G500 SUSP problem w/ 2 IFD 540s
    Posted: 27 May 2018 at 12:37am
I have a B55 Baron with a Garmin G500 PD/MFD, 2 IFD 540s and a Garmin GFC605 autopilot.  I use Jepp charts and Jepp nav data in the IFDs.  I use Garmin flitecharts and Jeppesen nav data in the G500. 

Problem:  Since the new panel was installed in 10/15 I have received a SUSP indication on the G500 when I pass the FAF inbound (enter the Approach Mode?).  In the past this was a nuisance indication since the 540 was NOT suspended and was navigating correctly. 

Recently, I updated my analog Century IV autopilot (which didn't care about SUSP indications) to a Garmin GFC605 which does care about SUSP indication.  I get the SUSP indication as soon as I pass the IAF inbound. IFD continues to navigate fine, but autopilot will not track the displayed glidepath on a GPS approach with SUSP ennunciated on the G500. 

(Garmin navigators have a soft key you can push to remove the SUSP indication, but Avidyne has no such feature.)  Does any know how to remove a SUSP  indication once it's been enunciated on the G500?  I can switch to OBS (from GPS) mode, but that removes all the approach data from the G500 screen (no glidepath, no course with waypoints, etc.)  Consequently, I have to fly the glidepath manually using the VS or IAS mode of the autopilot. 

Is anyone else getting this SUSP indication who's using Jepp charts on the 540s and Garmin charts on the G500?  I talked to one pilot who has 2 540s and a G500 but uses Garmin charts on both the 540s and the G500 and has no problem. 

I'm wondering if this is a mismatch problem given Garmin wants $2500 to unlock their box to display Jeppesen charts? 

Any ideas?

meatball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 10:19am
This is a great question that hasn't been answered.  What was the final resolution? Is it the fact that there are competing databases in the Garmin G500 flightcharts and Jepps on the IFDs?  My understanding is that the navigator pushes the feed of the flight plan waypoints, GPS course, L/VNAV indicators and annunciations to the PFD/MFD - and these are overlayed or presented on the PFD/MFD. Even if a system has some capability, one system has to act as the master.... and that should be the primary GPS navigator (Avidyne in this case) vs the G500.

msflygood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msflygood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 1:43pm
From further testing, it appears that as soon as the G500 acquires the  GPS glidepath signal (i.e. magenta slope indicator appears on G500), the SUSP indication occurs, even though the IFD540 continues to sequence properly.

Thus, it looks like the G500 misinterprets the signal to display a GPS g/p as a SUSP condition and shows that on its screen.  How to remove?  How to keep it from happening?  Switching to OBS mode is not an option as it removes all the approach data from the G500 screen.

I've tried switching to Jepp nav data for the G500, thinking that would eliminate any data mismatch since both would be using Jepp-provided Nav data.  No help. 

Has anyone else received a SUSP indication with Avidyne navigators and a G500?  If so when? Were you able to cancel it?

I'm replacing my G500 with a G500 Txi hoping that may fix the problem, if the problem is jsut a bad G500 box.  If not, back to the drawing board with Avidyne to see why their box sends (what the G500 interprets as) a SUSP signal as soon as GPS g/p info is received by the G500.
meatball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 2:24pm
So, do I understand you correctly in saying that the mismatched databases were confirmed by Avidyne to have nothing to do with the problem?  Is that why you think the problem is in the G500?  
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by msflygood msflygood wrote:

I talked to one pilot who has 2 540s and a G500 but uses Garmin charts on both the 540s and the G500 and has no problem.
It just isn't possible to have Garmin FliteCharts on an IFD540.
Bob
meatball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

Originally posted by msflygood msflygood wrote:

I talked to one pilot who has 2 540s and a G500 but uses Garmin charts on both the 540s and the G500 and has no problem.
It just isn't possible to have Garmin FliteCharts on an IFD540.

I saw that as well and assumed it was meant to say “Jepps charts” vice Garmin. 

Perhaps I’m mistaken...

Edited by meatball - 11 Jun 2018 at 7:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic