Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Nav Database

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Nav Database
    Posted: 27 May 2018 at 10:29am
I had posted this issue once before but it seems no one else has experienced it but I have a few more thoughts.  At times, when I have updated the databases in my IFD 540s, upon the restart I got a message that there was NO Nav database present.  I've had to reinstall the Nav database.
Now I believe it only happens when I am updating Nav, Obstacles and Charts all at the same time.  Tech support has suggested I always reformat my thumb drives before each download from Jepp  I do this.
On this latest occurance, after taking the drives to the plane and selecting nav, obstacles and charts to update my IFDs, upon the restart I got the message that there is no Nav database.  I then used the thumb drives to reload the Nav data only again, did a restart and all was good again.
Thinking it was only happening when I had to install Nav data, obstacles and charts all at once.  My theory was that it did not happen when I only was updating nav/obstacles or only charts.
To test this, I put the thumb drives back in and selected ALL 3 to update again. As expected, upon the restart, I had no Nav database again.  I then updated the Nav data ONLY, did a restart and was back in business.
Has anyone else experienced this?
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:11am
For what it's worth, I have often updated Charts, Navdata and Obstacles at the same time with no issues, although I most commonly do Charts separately from Navdata and Obstacles.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 10:38am
Bob,

Thanks for the feedback.  It must be something unique to my setup but it's only been since 10.2.1

Larry
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:09am
Hi Larry-

Now you have me thinking again. I am not 100% certain that I have updated all three databases together since the 10.2.1 update. I may give that a try, but it will have to wait until the 6/21 Navdata cycle.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:30am
Bob,

I re-tested my theory over the weekend and proved it false.  I had Nav, Obstacles and Charts on the stick but ONLY updated the charts.  It did skip the Nav and Obstacles but still it wiped out my Nav database at the end of the chart install.  Back to the drawing board.......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic