Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flight plan mismatches after navdb update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flight plan mismatches after navdb update
    Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:40pm
Late last week a user reported that his cycle 1806 nav database was missing some approaches.  He was in the southern Texas region.  We researched the problem here and isolated the problem to source data from Jeppesen in the Americas and USA nav database coverage regions.  Jeppesen found the problem on their end and regenerated the databases.  The updated databases were made available on JDM prior to the weekend.

However, since then, there have been reports of strange flight plan behavior between two IFDs.  Namely, you'll enter identifiers on one IFD and a completely different set of identifiers appears on the other IFD (obviously, with cross-sync enabled).  That behavior is a result of having one IFD loaded with the old version of the database and the other IFD loaded with the newer version.  Since the two have the same name, the IFDs recognize them as the same.

If you encounter this problem, the solution is to download the latest nav database onto one USB stick and use that same USB stick to update both IFDs.  Since this problem was a direct result of the re-issuance of cycle 1806 data, in 1807 you can go back to using two USB sticks.

We will work with Jeppesen to isolate the root cause of this issue and to ensure this does not happen again.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 7:26am
Good ol' Jepp.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 8:08am
Thanks Steve,

I saw the regenerated 1806 nav db show up for download in my IFD100 even though I already had the early version of 1806 already installed. In JDM; however, the regenerated nav db did not show up (I had downloaded the 1806 nav db the first day it was available). I called Jeppesen regarding the regenerated 1806 nav db and the tech support person I spoke with was unaware of the issue and it wasn't in his db notes. I read Steve's post to him. He did reset the system on their end so that I could reset my JDM cache and then re-download nav db 1806.

Since Jeppesen did not renumber the regenerated nav db with a version correction number, I really don't have any idea whether I downloaded the regenerated nav db or the same one I already had and already loaded into my IFD540. 

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:18pm
Don't worry.  Either database will work, but the original one was missing some airports (again in south Texas, e.g. Brownsville).  If you're not operating in that area, you're fine regardless.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 5:09pm
That company is a disaster...

I waited on the phone for a half hour today trying to give them some money and finally gave up.

I left a call back number and guess what, no callback.

I just wish there was an alternative, but no. You would think a company owned by Boeing could build a website that doesn't look and behave like it's 1993.

Rolfe Tessem

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic