Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Avionics Technician Things to Do after swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avionics Technician Things to Do after swap
    Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 11:03am
So I swapped the Garmin 430W for the Aspen IFD440. I wish I had done this before. I've found some anomalies that need attention so I'm going to have my avionics tech look things over, here's my list so far.

Is there anything else that I am forgetting or missing out on, other connectivities?

1. Heading Bug from Aspen EFD1000 not appearing on the IFD440. Another thread respondent said there's a workaround for that.
2. Evidently the EDM700 fuel flow output to the IFD440 is missing in my installation. It's possible if you had a 430W swap that this connection was not put in by your shop as well.
3. The 430W had no audio alerts so need to hook the IFD440 alert output to the audio panel.
4. Cool feature to be able to hear the IFD440 standby frequency on the audio panel, this can be attached to a spare audio on the panel.
5. TIS traffic from a transponder can be connected to the IFD440.

Any other things to check on or cool features to get installed correctly?

Mitch
Mooney M20J Aspen EFD1000 Pro IFD440
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:30pm
That is a good list of minor gotchas to check off.

You can also add wiring for switches for COM/STBY swap, and COM preset select, even if you don't use it now.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Jun 2018 at 2:31pm
forkauto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forkauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 3:58pm
I think the IFD units only have fuel readings if you have the fuel flow and also hooked to the sending units. I believe that is what I read in the manual. On the main fuel screen just get the normal 50 gallon on my arrow but no calculation on that. My EDM830 calculates it great just not on the IFD
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by forkauto forkauto wrote:

... My EDM830 calculates it great just not on the IFD

If you have an EDM830, then it is not correctly connected to the IFD. I get all fuel information available on my IFD, from my 830, with the fuel planner working and the green fuel exhaustion range rings. You need to have the connection wired, and the correct protocol specified, then it will work.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Jun 2018 at 4:47pm
forkauto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forkauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:22am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Originally posted by forkauto forkauto wrote:

... My EDM830 calculates it great just not on the IFD

If you have an EDM830, then it is not correctly connected to the IFD. I get all fuel information available on my IFD, from my 830, with the fuel planner working and the green fuel exhaustion range rings. You need to have the connection wired, and the correct protocol specified, then it will work.

* Orest

I will have it checked out, Thanks!

Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic