Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bluetooth Function

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bluetooth Function
    Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 11:45am
I am new to the IFD440, very new, but have been playing with the Bluetooth keyboard for the 440.

Jury is out whether it's worth using for flight plan entry, the screen keyboard works awfully well. However I did go to the trouble attaching it to my iPad yoke mount, I feel like a 747 pilot now.

But is there a way to press the LSK buttons? Things such as activate approach and activate flight plan are frequent needs.

Mooney M20J Aspen EFD1000 Pro IFD440
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 9:25pm
It depends, what software are you using to access the ifd with your Ipad?

I use FlyQ, and it works great.
Sauce
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 9:57pm
I think he was referring to the use of the keyboard.  There is not a way to activate the flight plan with the keyboard but I use my keyboard all the time and love it.  I quickly enter flight plans, toggle between frequencies, change between map, fms and svs pages. I also use it to clear CAS messages.  If you want to be able to activate flight plans or approaches, you can use the IFD 100 app on the IPad via WiFi.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:48pm
+1

Love my keyboard. Use it for 95% of my interaction with the IFD. Putting in new frequencies is especially quick and handy. Your hand hardly leaves the yoke.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Jun 2018 at 10:50pm
mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 9:47am
Correct, it's about the keyboard. It's all good until you finish the flight plan entry and then when it's time to activate you have to reach up to the IFD440. I just asked techsupport@avidyne.com, I'll pass along what they say, maybe there's an obscure feature or workaround.

Great idea to clear the CAS messages.

I haven't tried it yet but I do see the FREQ button on there, will try it out.

Side question, since you've read this far - is there a way to scroll down the frequencies offered after you turn the lower left knob to bring them up, both on the keyboard and on the IFD? I haven't tried anything yet but just thought of this issue, I've been using the touch screen to scroll down. Annoyingly, the bottom frequency, the third one in the list, does not respond to a touch unless you scroll it up into full view. And a related issue - why does it take two touches to bring it into standby, why not just one?

I haven't tried the IFD100 - I'm assuming it requires working WiFi connection, I can't even share flight plans with Foreflight yet, I posted a question on that, too.

Orest, you are obviously knowledgable and enthusiastic about the IFDxxx. Just curious, what is the * in your sig?

Mitch

Edited by mvgossman - 27 Jun 2018 at 9:48am
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:14am
Mitch,

As far as why two touches to bring a frequency into standby is because the first touch selects the frequency from a list (puts the box around it to select it).  The 2nd touch puts it into standby.
mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:15am
Yeah, I think it would be better if one touch did it all.

Maybe Avidyne people lurk here and note things like that? It's a small thing, it'll become second nature to tap-tap.

Mitch

Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Mitch,

As far as why two touches to bring a frequency into standby is because the first touch selects the frequency from a list (puts the box around it to select it).  The 2nd touch puts it into standby.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by mvgossman mvgossman wrote:

Orest, you are obviously knowledgable and enthusiastic about the IFDxxx. Just curious, what is the * in your sig?

Ah, there is a bit of history there.

Going back to the good old Compuserve days (late 1980's), with 9600 baud modems and $60/hr subscription costs, there was a function to auto-format (lines) or not, for messages in one of the offline default editors that was commonly used. Also defined was a "*" to suppress formating on a line by line basis.

I wrote and sold one of the more commonly used add-on message handlers/editors (Recon), and changed the meaning of the * on a line. One gag led to another, and a * got stuck onto my name. Been there ever since.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 8:33pm
how did you attach?
David Gates
mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 9:39am
Cool! I'm a computer fossil too, going back to the beginnings of timesharing, IBM and Honeywell mainframes, Hollerith punched cards.

My ".sig" back then was "El Hombre".

Mitch

Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Ah, there is a bit of history there.

Going back to the good old Compuserve days (late 1980's), with 9600 baud modems and $60/hr subscription costs, there was a function to auto-format (lines) or not, for messages in one of the offline default editors that was commonly used. Also defined was a "*" to suppress formating on a line by line basis.

I wrote and sold one of the more commonly used add-on message handlers/editors (Recon), and changed the meaning of the * on a line. One gag led to another, and a * got stuck onto my name. Been there ever since.

* Orest

mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 9:46am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

how did you attach?

That holder is from proclipusa.com. It's a hardwired powered holder for the iPad Mini, lightning cable slips into it and then the other end to a USB power supply behind the panel. I took a piece of "hardboard", cut it precisely to have half of it attached to the back of the iPad holder and the keyboard holder juts out from there. Spray painted it black. It's held in place with nylon locking stainless steel bolts. No issues with freedom of control wheel.

The keyboard is attached with this stuff, way better than Velcro:

http://a.co/6TItqo0 

I'm actually going to start over, I'm moving it to the left and I'm putting a small platform to the right for a Post-It notepad. I still prefer paper for quick notes like ATIS letter, heading, etc.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:01am

The keyboard is attached with this stuff, way better than Velcro:

http://a.co/6TItqo0 

Is the glue temperature fast? Most velcro strips make a horrible mess when the glue heats up in the sun, and flows all over.

*Orest
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:03am

Cool! I'm a computer fossil too, going back to the beginnings of timesharing, IBM and Honeywell mainframes, Hollerith punched cards.

My ".sig" back then was "El Hombre".

Mitch

Ah yes, punch cards, FORTRAN IV, COBOL, batch processing, the PDP-11 and such. One comma out of place, and you have to wait two hours for the next run!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Jun 2018 at 11:13am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:08pm
did that in college.

Ran an IBM 360/20 in the military and afterward.

One keystroke wrong.....start over.
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic