Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD100 Mobile App
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestion for added feature on IFD100

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestion for added feature on IFD100
    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 9:50am
I'm running an IFD440 and IFD100, so I don't have charts on the 440, but do on the IFD100. I'd like to overlay the charts on the map page of the IFD100 so I have the geo reference on the chart. At the least I'd like to have geo referencing on the charts on the IFD100. 

I think the 540/550 have geo referenced charts (at least it does on the training app), but not overlaid on the map page, maybe someone with a 540 or 550 can correct me if I'm wrong. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 9:14am
Georeferencing is already implemented in both the IFD100 and IFD540/440 (though not all charts can be georeferenced).  The extent of the chart is drawn on the map with a thin blue line.

We don't have any current plan to draw the chart on the map page instead of the blue line, but we could consider doing that in the future.  Does anyone else on the forum have an opinion about such a feature?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 10:50am
I like the chart overlaid on the map as done by ForeFlight. It needs to be easy turned off, though. 

I prefer to put a chart on an external EFB, though. I like to have it closer to me than the location of my IFD-540 on the stack and I find it easier to move around and look at the chart on an iPad. I look at the FPL page to see the step-down altitudes, but look at my EFB to brief the approach and for any additional information that I need. 

The other issue is that the pricing for Jeppesen charts is outrageous. I've come to like the government charts better, and don't subscribe to Jepp charts at all. I only subscribe to nav and obstacle data for my IFD-540. As mentioned elsewhere, getting an IFD-440 subscription for the 540 is the most cost effective alternative.

Garmin has a deal where if you get nav data for a 430 (and maybe a 650), you also get a seat for charts on a portable device for free. It would be nice if Avidyne had such an option for those that prefer Jepp charts. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:32pm
Although overlaying the chart on a larger screen in an EFB makes a lot of sense, and I often do slide over to the IFD CHART view and really like the georeferencing and flight plan overlay, I don't think it would be as practical or useful to overlay the chart on the panel IFD MAP screen, screen is too small for that much data. I do like the blue rectangle though.

That said, on a 14" tablet running the IFD100, maybe.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Jan 2019 at 11:51am
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 9:22am
Many of the popular EFB products allow drawing the approach charts over the moving map.  I think as time goes forward, more and more pilots will naturally just expect that feature/behavior on a tablet.
GBSoren71965 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:51am
Steve,

When I run the IFD540 trainer on my Ipad it puts my flight plan on the charts, so if I load an approach the chart will have the flight plan line on it and the plane following the line. But, on my IFD440 (which obviously won't display charts) connected to my IFD100 app, the IFD100 will display the chart, but doesn't put the flight plan on the chart, and doesn't goe-reference the plane onto the chart.

Is this an issue because the IFD440 doesn't display charts? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Gary
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:34am
The flight plan should overlay the chart on the IFD100 being driven by an IFD440.  Make sure the IFD100 and the IFD440 have the same nav database (coverage and cycle).  Also, make sure the charts on the IFD100 are current.  The flight plan will not be overlayed on charts that are watermarked with "Not for navigation".

If you have two iPads, you can test that capability without going to the plane by connecting the IFD100 to the trainer app.  Configure the trainer as a 440 and make sure it has the same database as the IFD100.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 5:26pm
I do fly with 2 Ipads so I'll try that. Thanks!

Gary
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 6:42am
Ok, I see the problem now. All of my charts have the "not for navigation" watermark, even though my IFD100 has the latest Jep data.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:24am
Originally posted by GBSoren71965 GBSoren71965 wrote:

Ok, I see the problem now. All of my charts have the "not for navigation" watermark, even though my IFD100 has the latest Jep data.
Sounds like you have the latest nav data, but not the latest charts.  if that's true, on the AUX-SYS Databases page, nav should show in white and the charts should show in yellow.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 1:07pm
Yep, exactly what it's showing. Charts shows "update required". Not sure how to update the charts, my subscription with Jep is IFD440 IFR bundle.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 1:35pm
You need to get a subscription that includes charts.  If you can stand it for a short while longer, I think it might be worth the wait...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 1:40pm
I can sure live with the way it is.......waiting. Thanks for your help!
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:32pm
The cost of Jeppesen app charts are way out of the ballpark for my use as about a 100 hour a year Pvt Pilot. I already have a full NOA subscription on Foreflight, which I run on a second Mini on the co-pilot side of my Tiger. This mini is not connected at all to my 440, but to my Stratus II for Traffic, weather, and app charts.

I find it much easier to do my flightplans and filing on Foreflight. I then select the 440 wifi and upload my flight plans to the 440, back out and then log into the stratus.

I then connect the IDF 100 to the 440 and ready to go.

I am new at this thing and still get a little confused at times trying to figure something out. It is basically unlearning Garmin 430W logic and replacing that with Avidyne logic.
Claude
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 4:48am
It would be nice to be able to use the IFD100 app as a stand-alone EFB when not connected to and IFD navigator. This would allow me to have a single User interface I use whether flying in my plane or on one without an IFD. It could be as simple as allowing the IFD100 to use the iPad GPS when not connected to an IFD. Some sort of message could pop up and ask the user. 

I realize the iPad GPS doesn’t have all the redundancy of the ones used in certified units, and it should not be used for IFR operations. However, the iPad EFBs, like ForeFlight and others, work with it and it can provide useful functions under VFR or in emergencies. If the plane had some sort of electrical issue, it would be nice to be able to keep navigating with the IFD100 until the issue can be resolved. Are there certification requirements that would preclude providing this functionality in the IFD100 app?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 4:42pm
It would remain uncertified, so there wouldn't be any certification issue.  It's not a bad idea, but we would have to add staff to specifically develop and manage that app and I'm sure we would have to start charging for it.  It's not in any plan that I know of.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 5:25pm
Isn’t the function basically there already? Wouldn’t it be just a matter of allowing the use of the iPad GPS when not connected to an IFD? It mostly seems to work, except for not knowing where the iPad is located.  
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 8:18am
Oh I guess I misunderstood.  We don't consider the IFD100 an EFB, but as an IFD with a larger control head.  I was thinking you were describing a product to compete with ForeFlight.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 8:26am
I was thinking just letting the IFD100 work with the iPad GPS if not connected to an IFD. It would also result in the IFD100 having an origin before it connects to the IFD device in the plane.

I also don't see a need to compete with ForeFlight or other EFBs.

Edited by HenryM - 11 Mar 2019 at 8:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic