Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 440 and GDL82 Failing ADS-B SIL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markpavinich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 440 and GDL82 Failing ADS-B SIL
    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 5:03pm
Need help with the particular scenario:

IFD440
GDL82

Configured ADS+B G2 format

SIL is failing almost at 100%

Everything else passes without any issuess.
On the ground, everything appears to check out.

Let me know if I am missing anything. 

Thanks.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:18am
Tech support says that the IFD440 is not an approved position source for the GDL82.  That's why it's failing the SIL and is not covered by our STC.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 4:37pm
Steve

Something does not seem right.  The IFD440 according to Avidyne is a slide in replacement for the 430W.  To me, that means that it is form, fit and functionally equivalent to the 430W. Tech support’s answer basically says “well, we are almost functionally equivalent”.

SIL is a function of the transponder and in this case the GDL82.  It seems to me that the GDL82 is not configured correctly.

I would go back and ask engineering, instead of tech support.

Gene
Gene
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 7:06pm
I don’t think that this is an Avidyne thing. It’s a Garmin thing. They control the GDS 82, and they don’t approve position sources other than their own equipment. 

See their official approval list at http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01533-00_06.pdf .

The document states that any other position sources must meet the requirements of  AC 20-165B. I have no idea what’s involved with establishing that, but I imagine it’s not trivial and it will be hard to do without Garmin’s cooperation. 

Note that Avidyne DOES approve Garmin position sources for the AXP340 transponder, but the reverse is not true.

Mike

Edited by mfb - 28 Apr 2019 at 7:21pm
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 10:56pm
from the FAA AFS-360 requirements

How can the ADS-B OUT system obtain initial approval?
Initial ADS-8 OUT system pairings (transmitter/GPS) must be approved for installation using
the Type Certificate (TC), Amended TC (ATC), or Supplemental Type Certificate (STC)
process. Consult your Aircraft Certification Office to determine the appropriate approval process
for these initial installations. Once the performance of the initial pairing has been established,
the FAA considers follow-on installations of the same pairing to be approved.
Organization Designation Authorization (ODA) holders can issue ATC and STC when
authorized by their FAA Organization Management Team (OMT). 
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 10:59pm
Don't all GDL 82 units come with an internal GPS source?

sounds like the only option is to mount the included GPS antenna and run the cable to the unit. Most of them are installed that way.

eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 11:14am
The 82 comes in 2 flavors, with and without internal GPS.
Gene
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic