Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD440 VOR reception

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vcollazo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD440 VOR reception
    Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:37am
IFD 440 not receiving VORs but fine on ILS localizers. Tried 2 different VORs with VLOC selected and had nav flag displayed and no audio. Both VORs were normal on number 2 radio. Has anyone seen this or have any idea what could be causing this?
vcollazo
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 12:21pm
Sounds like and antenna or cabling problem.  VOR and LOC use different antennas, so it is possible to get one but not the other.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 12:34pm
Lots of VORs are being decommissioned, and even the ones that aren't are slow to get repaired when they go down.  Are you absolutely sure those VORs were operational at the time?  (Confirmed on a different radio, maybe?)
vcollazo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vcollazo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:20pm
Yes my number 2 radio was receiving them. I will ask my avionics guy about the antennas though I always thought the localizer and VOR used the same antenna though the glide slope, being UHF, does use a separate antenna.
vcollazo
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:15pm
Have you seen this behavior across an IFD power cycle?

vcollazo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vcollazo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:14pm
Just last flight, and it was a short one. I'll have to try a VOR in the ILS frequency range 112MHz or less.
vcollazo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic