Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > EX-Series Multi-Function Displays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Software version 8.2.2 Released

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Software version 8.2.2 Released
    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:44pm
Avidyne has released R8.2.2 software for EX-5000 series MFDs. The software will be available only thru dealers and should take approximately 1 hour to install. 

1. Software will be at no charge for all customers who installed R8.2.0 or R8.2.1. Avidyne will cover up to 2 labor hours under the normal warranty process.
  2. The software is included with the new purchase of an ADS-B In/Out solution from Avidyne.
  3. If a customer previously purchased an ADS-B In/Out solution from Avidyne the software will be provided at no additional charge.
  4. If a customer purchased only an ADS-B In solution from Avidyne then the software will be $500 MSRP. Normal Dealer software discounts apply.
Your dealer should have these, but here are the part numbers for your reference:

850-00013-510, KIT, EX5000 COMPACT FLASH, 2G, RELEASE 8.2, PIPER PA46/PA34 (4 KNOB)
850-00013-511, KIT, EX5000 COMPACT FLASH, 2G, RELEASE 8.2, PIPER PA28/PA32/PA44 (2 KNOB)
850-00013-512, KIT, EX5000 COMPACT FLASH, 2G, RELEASE 8.2, CIRRUS (2 KNOB)
850-00013-513, KIT, EX5000 COMPACT FLASH, 2G, RELEASE 8.2, COLUMBIA  (2 KNOB)
850-00013-514, KIT, EX5000 COMPACT FLASH, 2G, RELEASE 8.2, LANDSCAPE AFTERMARKET WITH RADAR (4 KNOB)
850-00013-515, KIT, EX5000 COMPACT FLASH, 2G, RELEASE 8.2, LANDSCAPE AFTERMARKET WITHOUT RADAR (2 KNOB)

EX5000 equipped aircraft owners can upgrade to R8.2.2 to add display capability of FIS-B weather using Avidyne’s SkyTrax100B ADS-B IN receiver, and ADS-B Traffic using ARINC429/735 protocol. Avidyne IFD400 and IFD500 series GPSs and AXP340 or AXP322 transponder are available to provide ADS-B Out. Along with Avidyne’s SkyTrax100B ADS-B IN Receiver, R8.2.2 for EX-5000 Series MFDs adds compatibility with 3rd-party systems including Lynx NGT-9000, Garmin GTX345, FreeFlight RANGR-RX, or other Capstone/735-compatible ADS-B IN receivers.

Edited by AviSteve - 04 Nov 2019 at 4:43pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 8:18am
Excellent news! Also, thank you Avidyne for taking care of us early adopters.
Ron L
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 10:16am
Great thank you

Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 12:43pm
Great news!  I know a lot of people will be happy!  Keep up the good work at supporting our systems!

Are there any screenshots as to what ADS-B radar and traffic look like on the Entegra?

Edited by Roger - 06 Jun 2019 at 12:45pm
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 1:56pm
That is awesome!  Thanks for the hard work and support!!

Doug
N208LG
acm852 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acm852 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 6:15pm
Western Plains Aviation (KGXY) installed 8.2.2 yesterday in N852EW (SR-22 SN 0320).  It was great to fly back without the MFD quitting after 45 minutes.  The weather and traffic displays are very much appreciated.  Unfortunately, after the 8.2.2 installation no CMAX charts were available and I was unable to re-load them.  The error message said, "CMAX Data Update failed Error writing files."  That was very disappointing.  The NAVDATA worked OK.  Any ideas why the CMAX charts disappeared and can't be re-loaded?
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 4:50pm
In particular, do ADS-B traffic show with “stingers” showing target direction, or do they just display as diamonds with relative altitude, as Active Traffic targets do. This is documented one way in the release 8.2 guide, and another in the 8.2.1 release notes.

acm852 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acm852 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:02pm
ADS-B traffic show as a diamond with relative altitude.
acm852 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acm852 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:25pm
I contacted Jeppesen and after they re-set our subscription was able to successfully re-load our CMAX charts. We flew from KCOS to KHND and the MFD performed well.
dieselcam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dieselcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:55pm
With the update installed does the initialization screen show 8.2.2 or does it just show 8.2  ?
Thanks 
cam
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 1:48pm
You'll see "EX5000 R8.2" in big letters.  The fine print at the bottom will show the new part number and rev "02".
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 1:47pm
Thank you for continuing to support the excellent MFDs. I have both, and EX600 and an EX5000 in full Avidyne stacks.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 5:22pm
It's our pleasure ... and thanks for your loyalty!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
stanleyshe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanleyshe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 2:51pm
Hi, Steve,

Can you suggest an avoinics shop near me at Temecula, CA? 

Thank you
Stanley
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 6:28am
There are a few in your area.

- Ramona avionics in Ramona
- Leading Edge avionics at John Wayne airport
- Affordable Avionics in Chino
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
zman520 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zman520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 12:14pm
In addition to installing 8.2.2, does the ability to get traffic and weather display on the mfd require a hard wire connection between the MLB100 and the EX5000?  If so, what pins does it connect to?
zman520 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zman520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 12:37pm
or do they communicate through the ifd?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by zman520 zman520 wrote:

In addition to installing 8.2.2, does the ability to get traffic and weather display on the mfd require a hard wire connection between the MLB100 and the EX5000?  If so, what pins does it connect to?
Generally, it needs to be hardwired.  Specific details are in the installation manual.  But there are many factors including whether your MLB100 (SkyTrax100) has 429 capability.  I strongly suggest that you and your installer call Roland Galindo in tech support (1-888-723-7592).  He'll be able to assist with your specific installation.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:37pm
We noticed that the Datalink Lightning from XM weather no longer is available with 8.2.2, did anyone have the same experience. It used work before the update.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

We noticed that the Datalink Lightning from XM weather no longer is available with 8.2.2, did anyone have the same experience. It used work before the update.
We're not sure when or why this happened, but lightning appears to be no longer available with the Aviator Lite subscription.  We have an open problem report to try and address it but I don't have a timeline to give you.  Until we can get the details worked out, you'll need an Aviator or Aviator Pro subscription to get lightning.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 8:58pm
Lightning was added to Aviator LT and it was working fine until the upgrade to 8.2.2, still showing as a feature with Aviator LT on the XM website (see screenshot)
Is the issue from XM or Avidyne not being able to display the datalink lightning?

AndiC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:40pm
Hi - I’m based in the U.K. with a 2006 PA32, where can I get my software upload done?
Many thanks

Andy
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

Lightning was added to Aviator LT ..
What do you mean by that?  Was it originally not there in LT but was added at some point?  If so, when was that?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 11:23am
Originally posted by AndiC AndiC wrote:

Hi - I’m based in the U.K. with a 2006 PA32, where can I get my software upload done?
Best to contact Steve Gubbins by email.  He'll be able to steer you to a dealer.  (sgubbins at avidyne.com)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 11:24am
See copy of email I received from XM on Feb 7, 2019.  The MFD did show lightning and it worked until 8.2.2

Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 4:47pm
Have just installed this in a PA32, 8.2 Rev 2, which I believe is 8.2.2. Weather looks great, traffic is still problematic, with many ADS-B targets showing with the wrong relative altitude, and Skywatch traffic not showing at all in many cases. Looks fine on the GTN, and Ipad connected via FlightStream 510. I heard this problem occurring before with the GTX 345 as the ADS-B In source, but I thought it was fixed in 8.2.2. Any advice?

Thanks.

Note the traffic near the airport; it was approximately 300 feet below us at 1500’, but shows at +68. There was also 4 or 5 other targets in the vicinity of the airport that showed up on the GTN and ipad, but not the MFD.

Edited by Melohn - 22 Oct 2019 at 4:51pm
LancairCol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LancairCol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 11:15am
Hello all! I recently updated my EX5000 MFD to software version 8.2.2 in my Lancair Columbia. Following the upgrade, I’ve been noticing t aircraft symbol dropping on the MAP display and receive a momentary “Nav Source Data is NOT Valid” message that cycles in and out. I’ve cycled between NAV 1 and NAV 2 and used various iterations of Wx Report/OVLY settings to try and isolate the issue to no avail. The only current workaround is pulling the EX5000 to restart the screen. Has anyone observed this anomaly with 8.2.2? I never had this issue with the non-ADSB software version. Thank you for your help!
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Melohn Melohn wrote:

... many ADS-B targets showing with the wrong relative altitude...
Any chance you are configured for ADS-B rather than GTX-345?  A call to tech support would be your best bet.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 2:26pm
Yup; that was the problem. thanks Steve! Both traffic and weather work great now!

Edited by Melohn - 26 Oct 2019 at 2:27pm
stanleyshe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanleyshe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 6:30pm
Hi, Steve,

I have IFD550 and I updated its software last July to 10.2.3.1   However, many good features are not shown on my MFD (EX5000C) with R8.1.   I was told that I must upgrade the software to 8.2.2 in order to take advantages of many new things in IFD550. I was also told that both the software and installation are free. Can you confirm that? 

Of course, there is also a question if I actually need to upgrade, as I have seen the potentials problems (in this forum) people run into by upgrading. What tips you can give me to avoid these potential issues encountering during and after upgrade?

Thank you, and cheers,
Stanley
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 11:02am
On it's own, the software isn't free.  However, there are often promotions being offered that would include the upgrade.  Depending upon what equipment you already have in the aircraft, you may not have to buy anything new.  There is also one very specific case where an older version can be exchanged for 8.2.2 at no cost.  Best to contact sales@avidyne.com to see if you qualify for any of those situations.

There's really no problem having the equipment upgraded.  The best tip I can give you is to have your dealer do it.  They'll make sure the service bulletin is strictly followed.  If they do run into a problem, our tech support team is pretty darn good at resolving installation issues.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 6:01pm
Did the cost of 8.2.2 go up from $999?  Are you still offering it gratis for those with grandfathered Avidyne ADS-B In equipment?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 8:15pm
The engineering guy would rather not jump into the pricing pool.  Best to call or email sales for that.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic