Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

question about flightlog, timer, pbd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: question about flightlog, timer, pbd
    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 5:49pm
 hello,
 So far I read everything in the pilots manual but still I have some questions.
Is there a way to recall the last or even more flights regarding the flight times? Whenever I shut down the airplane, the timer is reset.
 if this is possible, maybe there’s a chance that there is somewhere a flight book? 
 is there a way to create a PBD ( place-bearing-distance)?

thanks a lot for your help

Thomas 
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 8:14pm
I don't know of any way to recall previous flights. 

You can create place-bearing-distance waypoints by going to the FMS->WPT page and selecting Format Rad/Dist.

Mike
2thomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:43am
yes, on the waypoint page. but direct edit your current route? like, for example, you should follow a clearance to descent and maintain altitude 4000ft 10NM before the waypoint X (creating a waypoint with: X-10 and/or X/radial/distance.)
hopefully not too confusing

thanks
m016576 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m016576 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 10:55pm
I know there’s a way to set a “descend to X prior to or by” functionality that gives vertical guidance.  I haven’t played with that much... maybe it puts a mark on the magenta line, too?  Worth looking in to, as I think this is what you’re looking for.
vuk3@me.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 9:48am
hey there Thomas,
There's no need to create a waypoint, simply go into the FMS look at the flight plan. The waypoint you're heading to will be the magenta one. Simply enter the height requirement and the distance in the box. It automatically marks the point on the magenta line along with the height requirement. Hope this answers your question. Cheers Andy 

VH-UAR YMMB
2thomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:50pm
ok, great. this solves at least the distance problem. i like that.
anybody figured out if you can recall the flight timers or even have some kind of summary? 
thanks
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 2:28pm
For previous flights, only way I can think of (ie, other options may exist!) would be to download the logs, and scan the events for " IN AIR" and "ON GROUND" which both have "Weight-On-Wheels State" in the previous field.

This might need you have either a WoW switch, or a pseudo WoW option

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:50am
hey there Thomas,
The IFD offers many user settable timers. Power on, flight time that's triggered by the GPS sensing movement ie. GS at take off and landing. Also custom timers may be set for periodic events such as short as change tank reminder or as long or cumulative as time between overhauls. With respect all these things you've questioned are basic functions of the IFD and if you truly read the manual you wouldn't be asking such questions on this forum.
See attached...May I also add I've been flying the IFD for some years. I once did a tutorial with Gary Reeves, something every IFD user should do in order to understand the unit inside out.  The design of the IFD user interface is very intuitive. once the basics are learned it's fairly easy to master all of its potential.
Cheers
Andy
VH-UAR YMMB
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:10am
Originally posted by vuk3@me.com vuk3@me.com wrote:

... With respect all these things you've questioned are basic functions of the IFD and if you truly read the manual you wouldn't be asking such questions on this forum..
You can read the manual and still have legitimate questions.  That's exactly what the forum is for.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:21am
Originally posted by 2thomas 2thomas wrote:

Is there a way to recall the last or even more flights regarding the flight times?
There is no way to recall previous flight times.  Awful Charlie suggested correctly that you can use the logs to figure it out, but it takes a little work to go through them.  Keeping a log of the last several flight durations is a good idea, though.  I'll add it to the list.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
2thomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 1:00pm
with all respect:  are you the master of this forum? Believe me, I read the book. I even read it before I got my unit installed and I’m pretty familiar with the simulator as well and what I asked for is not the answer you gave me. I know there is a timer for several things but not for what I’m looking for to see my last or the latest flight times. you cannot add these in the timers. Sorry to see how people in this forum going after others just asking a question and this was not a basic one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 5:51pm
my apologies to you Thomas, it wasn't my intention to upset you.
Personally I use an iPad app here in Australia called ozrunways to keep a log of flights / times and GPS tracking. Equivalent thing in the US would be foreflight.
Maybe that will do what you're looking for.
Cheers
Andy
VH-UAR YMMB
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 8:42pm
I have not been assigned this task from ATC yet but noticed Baron Pilot was on his way to Key West.  Can someone explain to me when ATC might assign that altitude distance from waypoint and what it accomplishes and how we would input and use it in the IFD alongside the DFC90/Entegra Setup.  Cross 10 miles before Samug at 4K feet.  What does this mean exactly...we never did this in my IFR training.  
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:39pm
I don’t know about Key West, but clearances like that are very common on the East Coast. I saw them a lot flying into places like PHL. It’s basically an issuance of a “pilot’s discretion” descent clearance with a condition attached. And it reduces the controller’s responsibility and adds to yours.

The RNAV standard arrivals into PHL are full of crossing restrictions.

You can put a crossing restriction on any waypoint in the IFD. The IFD will show the restriction on the map, show a top of descent point, and show the banana that indicates where you’ll reach the crossing altitude. Very handy.

Mike
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 1:23am
If we set a crossing altitude for a waypoint, will the IFD provide GPSS instructions for vertical nav to a connected autopilot?  I have a TruTrak, and it would be great if I can configure the altitude I want to cross my waypoints at, and have the IFD provide steering to my AP to get the plane to that altitude.

mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 9:12am
Originally posted by CubedRoot CubedRoot wrote:

If we set a crossing altitude for a waypoint, will the IFD provide GPSS instructions for vertical nav to a connected autopilot?  I have a TruTrak, and it would be great if I can configure the altitude I want to cross my waypoints at, and have the IFD provide steering to my AP to get the plane to that altitude.

No
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 9:30am
Originally posted by CubedRoot CubedRoot wrote:

Gotcha...just like on the approach chart but unpublished and assigned by ATC when they need/want to.  I get it.  So 10 miles out from XYZ waypoint be at 4,000 feet....Either by at that altitude at the distance away from a waypoint they assign or cross the waypoint at the altitude they assign...right?
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Roger Roger wrote:

Gotcha...just like on the approach chart but unpublished and assigned by ATC when they need/want to.  I get it.  So 10 miles out from XYZ waypoint be at 4,000 feet....Either by at that altitude at the distance away from a waypoint they assign or cross the waypoint at the altitude they assign...right?

Yes, just be at the assigned altitude by the time you reach the specified position. They don't care if you reach the altitude early. But there can be big problems if you get there late.

These are often points where controllers hand you off from one sector to another. So the controller down-line expects you to be entering his airspace at a certain altitude. If you're not there it could cause conflicts with other traffic. You don't want that.

Mike

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:49pm
I leave 2nm leeway, for the target altitude.

If they want me at 8000ft, 45nm before XYZ, I'll set it for 47nm before.

* Orest
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic