Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Compass on IFD?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 260SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compass on IFD?
    Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 12:53am
I am getting instrument training and we started partial panel work today, using the whiskey compass.  My CFI is used to Garmin equipment and said he can pull up compass heading on their GPS.  Is there some way to do that with my IFD-540?  He fiddled around with it and looked at the manual while I “tried” to fly under hood.

Edited by 260SE - 06 Dec 2019 at 12:54am
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 8:52am
The IFD series can display the compass heading if they are connected to a magnetic heading source, such as an HSI with a fluxgate compass and the appropriate outputs or an electronic display such as the Aspen EFD which has a magnetometer. I believe that the Garmin GPS units will do so as well.

If connected to a suitable source of magnetic heading information, the IFD display should be set for heading up on the setup screen.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
260SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 260SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 11:56am
Gotcha, thank you!  

Yes, I have an HSI & magnetometer installed.  

So I think I understand - I need to switch from “North up” to “heading up”, correct?  

Funny, my CFI asked which I liked better on an earlier flight...my brain works better “North-up”... good to know that I can swap in a pinch...or try it out for a while and see how I like it (yuck), lol.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 1:37pm
There are two different things to choose, if you have a heading input.

1) select whether you prefer to have track up, or heading up, when a direction orientated view is selected. (in the options menu)

2) select whether you want to see North up, direction up or direction up with 2/3rd of the map ahead of you. You swap between these with a click IN of the right knob.

Interestingly, I just started a discussion about North UP vs Direction UP on another forum. I strongly prefer direction UP, and use TRACK rather than HEADING on my IFD (HEADING on my PFD), although both are available.

Here are the current poll results there:

Do you prefer North UP or Track UP

1. Track UP

24 vote(s)
    31.2%
  2. Track UP for panel, North UP for tablets

20 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. North UP

28 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. No strong preference

3 vote(s)
    3.9%

Edited by oskrypuch - 06 Dec 2019 at 1:41pm
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 12:53am
Maybe I’m missing something here, but aren’t we just talking about making sure the heading box on the map is active?  There is also the compass rose option.  These are both set under  “AUX/SETUP/Setup Map”.  With the compass rose active, the ownship symbol is connected to the compass rose with a dashed white line with arrowhead indicating the actual track of the aircraft.  None of these options has anything to do with map orientation.  These are always on for me.  One certainly doesn’t want to futz with map options to “swap in a pinch”.
Bob
260SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 260SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 4:20pm
Thank you all.  Between the posts, manuals, and playing with trainer, I was able to figure it out.  It was all in setting up the compass rose, pushes of the bottom right button,  and looking at the track box.  So simple.

My next challenge is tablet connectivity; I’ll start another post.  Apologies in advance for my tech ineptitude.  I’ve been using this as an expensive radio the first few months I owned it this summer, and prior to IFR training just direct-to, nearest, and taxi charts.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 6:59pm
Also check your setting for Map Orientation under User Options.  That will determine how the Heading/Track Box is populated.
Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic