Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPSS with G5/IDF440 and STEC30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gzinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPSS with G5/IDF440 and STEC30
    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 10:21pm
I was wondering if anybody has tried GPSS with the 440, G5 and STEC30. 

I will give it a shot this weekend. 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 5:33am
Yes, but with 540 rather than 440.... so essentially the same.

Vince
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 8:26am
Yes.  Works perfectly.
Bob
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 8:28am
But I have the STEC  GPSS, and just the G5 AI.
Nothing driven by the G5.
Bob
gzinga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gzinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:03am
so do I:

put the G5 in GPSS
give the 440 a GPS direct to
set the Stec to heading or low course?

thank you
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 6:08pm
I have the G5 EADI plus separate Stec GPSS as well as the 30.

Whenever the GPSS switch is set to GPSS mode, then the 30 TC needs to be in HDG mode.

Lo/Hi TC setting is used when the 30 needs to track a VHF course (VOR/ILS/LOC), and the GPSS switch needs to be in HDG mode.

The key to remember is that the Stec 30 doesn't have any intercept or altitude/GS tracking, and only altitude hold.

So either
a) if navigating an IFD route with GPSS, then the 30 will follow the route info from the IFD, including the IAP GPS route. Altitude can be kept with Alt Hold, but needs to be disengaged at GS intercept or whenever altitude change is needed and the GS flown manually, or
b) if following vectors, then the GPSS switch needs to be in HDG mode and HDG set with the HSI bug until established on final. If it's an RNP approach then GPSS can be engaged again once established, if a VHF approach then switch the TC from HDG to Lo/Hi accordingly once the IFD changes from GPS to VLOC and leave the GPSS switch in HDG mode.

Edited by chflyer - 01 May 2020 at 6:11pm
Vince
gzinga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gzinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

I have the G5 EADI plus separate Stec GPSS as well as the 30.

Whenever the GPSS switch is set to GPSS mode, then the 30 TC needs to be in HDG mode.

Lo/Hi TC setting is used when the 30 needs to track a VHF course (VOR/ILS/LOC), and the GPSS switch needs to be in HDG mode.

The key to remember is that the Stec 30 doesn't have any intercept or altitude/GS tracking, and only altitude hold.

So either
a) if navigating an IFD route with GPSS, then the 30 will follow the route info from the IFD, including the IAP GPS route. Altitude can be kept with Alt Hold, but needs to be disengaged at GS intercept or whenever altitude change is needed and the GS flown manually, or
b) if following vectors, then the GPSS switch needs to be in HDG mode and HDG set with the HSI bug until established on final. If it's an RNP approach then GPSS can be engaged again once established, if a VHF approach then switch the TC from HDG to Lo/Hi accordingly once the IFD changes from GPS to VLOC and leave the GPSS switch in HDG mode.

thanks, I will give it a shot
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 7:01pm
Not sure what you mean about putting the G5 in GPSS.... a GPSS option for the G5 is news to me. As indicated, I have a separate STEC GPSS converter incl switch.
Vince
gzinga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gzinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Not sure what you mean about putting the G5 in GPSS.... a GPSS option for the G5 is news to me. As indicated, I have a separate STEC GPSS converter incl switch.

it's right on the menu. Do you have version 6.4?
gzinga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gzinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:45am
I tried it yesterday. it worked great. It does turns and follows the GPS plan perfectly. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic