Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turn off WAAS?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 260SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turn off WAAS?
    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 10:35am
Not sure if this is a dumb question, but what the heck, here goes-

I am an IFR student with an IFD-540.  I have GPS LPV approaches at my home field.  Is there a way to force an LNAV, LNAV+V, LNAV/VNAV approach, or does the unit default to the most precise lowest min approach at all airports?  I’m asking this for during my training.

Thanks in advance for bearing with my question.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 4:34pm
It is my understanding that the IFD will default to the most precise RNAV GPS approach type that is published and RAIM will allow.

There is an Advisory Glideslope user option that if turned off, appears to prevent the IFD from presenting an advisory glideslope on what otherwise would be a +V type approach.

I took a quick look at a few proximate airports to LAF; Monticello, IN (MCX) RNAV GPS 18 and 36 as well as Danville, IL (DNV) RNAV GPS 03 and 34 have non LPV or LNAV/VNAV minimums. With the advisory glideslope user option turned off, these RNAV GPS approaches should not display any vertical guidance.   
260SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 260SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 8:21pm
Excellent, thank you so much for the Advisory Glidslope option note.  

We were actually talking about doing KMCX on today’s flight and decided to knock out 3 back to back VOR-A circling approaches instead.  Man, I suck at this...

And thanks again for taking the time to research the airports local to me, you didn’t have to do that.  Above and beyond.  Thank you.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 8:48pm
You’re welcome...best wishes on your training.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by 260SE 260SE wrote:

Excellent, thank you so much for the Advisory Glidslope option note.  

We were actually talking about doing KMCX on today’s flight and decided to knock out 3 back to back VOR-A circling approaches instead.  Man, I suck at this...

And thanks again for taking the time to research the airports local to me, you didn’t have to do that.  Above and beyond.  Thank you.
We all sucked at this when we started out.  Be patient and tenacious.  Allow yourself to be human and make mistakes.  Have fun also!
Bob
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 9:00pm
One of the cool things about the IFD’s is having 5 users. If you’re using an airplane that you can freely set up the user pages...you could set up one of the users with a training configuration that may have options such as advisory glideslope turned off. You can even name that user configuration to whatever you like. That way when you want to set that configuration, just change to that user instead of hunting for the specific option(s) to turn off/on. When you wish to go back to your normal configuration, once again just switch to the appropriate user.
260SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 260SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 10:24pm
Never thought of that, great idea!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic