Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dead Reckoning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead Reckoning
    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 8:21pm
While talking to Atlanta approach and skirting the edge of the class B, my 440 lost signal and showed a “dead reckoning” message For 20 minutes eventually coming back on by itself. I had been in the air nearly 4 hours at that point. The GPS in the upper right showed a good signal and the several other GPS devices in the aircraft all continued to work. The autopilot is driven by the IFD and it reverted to a wing leveler at that point. Has this happened to anyone else and should I have rebooted it..thx
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 8:47pm
Nasty. I have not seen something like that.

* Orest
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Flybuddy Flybuddy wrote:

...Has this happened to anyone else and should I have rebooted it..thx

Once a couple of years ago my IFD got too hot (in the yellow) and I shut it down in flight.  After a pause to let it cool off, I turned it back on with no problems on the remainder of that flight (it recaptured the satellites and thereafter behaved normally), and none since.  So rebooting was an option you could have done.  Can't help with the "dead reckoning" part of your question.
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:09am

Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

...Has this happened to anyone else and should I have rebooted it..thx

Once a couple of years ago my IFD got too hot (in the yellow) and I shut it down in flight.  After a pause to let it cool off, I turned it back on with no problems on the remainder of that flight (it recaptured the satellites and thereafter behaved normally), and none since.  So rebooting was an option you could have done.  Can't help with the "dead reckoning" part of your question.

Thx, thought shut down might have helped as possible it was heat related. I already had final approach and ctaf freqs in number 2 radio and didn’t really want to mess with it while hand flying very close along edge of class B. 
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:56am

While talking to Atlanta approach and skirting the edge of the class B, my 440 lost signal and showed a “dead reckoning” message For 20 minutes eventually coming back on by itself. I had been in the air nearly 4 hours at that point. The GPS in the upper right showed a good signal and the several other GPS devices in the aircraft all continued to work. The autopilot is driven by the IFD and it reverted to a wing leveler at that point. Has this happened to anyone else and should I have rebooted it..thx

This happened to my IFD 540 last Wednesday, after I had been in the air for about 15 minutes. I rebooted it, and it did come back up, but it was quite disconcerting. I sent a message to Avidyne tech support, and they suggested that I talk to my dealer. I spoke with the dealer, and if it happens in the future I will go in and they will bench check the unit and check the antenna.

Edited by PA20Pacer - 09 Aug 2020 at 8:57am
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic