Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Database Package to Buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Database Package to Buy?
    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:54pm
Hi all -

New IFD540 driver here (installed today). I went to look at the Jepp data, and am not sure what to get. Seeking recommendations.

I'm an IFR student, so I definitely need current Nav data. I can get FAA IFR plates on Foreflight, so I'm sort of on the fence about whether to subscribe to Jepp plates.

Also, what do people do who just sign up for the Nav data? Do they not get terrain and obstacle updates? Or maybe buy them only once per year individually?

With all of the options on Jepp's website, I guess I need some advice on which route to take.

Thanks very much in advance!

Edited by SoCalIFDpilot - 22 Aug 2020 at 9:13pm
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 11:25pm
I have just the US NavData plan for $299.

I don't think the plates display all that well on the IFD540. I prefer them on Foreflight. I am ok with the FAA plates, though I recently got an offer for free Jepp plates. It used to be that Jeppplates were much better than NACO/Airnav plates. However, the government plates have come a long way, and I no longer find Jepp to be the requirement they once were.

I will eventually get a one-time obstacle update. I have an older obstacle database in my unit. Terrain hasn't been updated since 2015, so no sense in paying for that either. 
SoCalIFDpilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 11:30pm
Thanks Henry.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 12:17am
Make sure you get the pricing from Avidyne at the link below and then tell Jeppesen what you want.

I've always used Jeppesen charts, so I get the charts and use the IFD 100 to view them.  I agree with Henry that Jeppesen's historical advantage is no longer relevant.  So, up to you how you'd like to get charts and which vendor.

I get obstacles once a year and never get terrain per Henry's post.

Good luck with your training.
Bob
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 12:22am
Thank you Bob.
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 11:57am
You could also consider Seattle Avionics Fly Q, if you have not already purchased another system. They are less expensive, and I really think it is a better product, specifically for customer service, which suc*s at the Boeing owned Jeppesen.... Of course that is my opinion.
Sauce
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 12:02pm
I have a Stratus 2s for ADS-B. My understanding is that FlyQ does not support the 2s.

I'm using Foreflight, and have been happy with it.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 5:59am
I have a lifetime IFR subscription to FlyQ, but still pay for Foreflight because it is more intuitive to me. I like its use interface and graphics better. The main reason I keep FlyQ around is that it includes Mexican approach plates for the very ocasional trip down south. You'd have to get Jepp charts for Foreflight to get those approaches. 

I also have several year's worth of WingX from a time they ran a $1.00 subscription special. It is essentially paid for until the late 20's. WingX was my favorita app early on, but they've stagnated a bit and I switched to FF several years ago. I keep it around for backup, but have only opened to update the database from time to time.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 10:28am
Thanks Bob - Good link with Jepp subscription rate breakdowns...

. Like Henry, I purchased Lifetime FlyQ years ago:
     - Prefer for Airport Info including Traffic Pattern Direction (when R-traffic)
     - includes NACO plates on Aspen MFD, but not as user friendly as iPad
     - Very Tedious monthly Chart Download for Aspen-MFD microSD.  

. Prefer FF for intuitive use of Instrument Plates (have been using NACO)

. Have been using Single Av-540 Jepp Nav Database package (with dual 540's)

So, with the Jepp Bundle USA, how many devices can display Charts? Most of us would want x2 iPad Apps (FF plus IFD100) plus IFD540's... 

Tom Wolf

Edited by n7ifr - 24 Aug 2020 at 10:32am
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Thanks Bob - Good link with Jepp subscription rate breakdowns...
So, with the Jepp Bundle USA, how many devices can display Charts? Most of us would want x2 iPad Apps (FF plus IFD100) plus IFD540's... 

Tom Wolf
Sorry, but I don't use ForeFlight, so I can't answer your question directly about any kind of Jepp bundle for the two, IFD & ForeFlight.  However, if you have a Jepp IFD subscription, you have at least one iPad App for the IFD 100, and with a ForeFlight subscription, you must have another.  I just don't know about any bundle.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in who uses Jepp for both. 
Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic