Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OBS and Sequencing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OBS and Sequencing
    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 3:49pm
Friends -

I was flying with my CFII today. We had an IFR approach loaded in the IFD540, and it was active.

My instructor then said to go into OBS mode and fly to a specific fix, and hold on a radial. So I switched to OBS made, dialed in the radial, and navigated to the fix. Before I could enter the hold, however, the IFD sequenced back to the next leg in the loaded IFR approach. I read the Pilots Guide and the Bauer book, and it seems that this is normal behavior. So, these are my questions...

1. Am I correct...is what I've described the normal way the IFD handles this scenario?
2. Is there any way to disable this functionality?
3. Assuming there's no way to disable this functionality, how would I handle this request from my CFII? In other words, with an IFR approach already loaded, is there any way to go into OBS mode and then hold at a fix (for an indeterminate time) before the IFD sequences to the next leg in the IFR approach?

Thanks everyone!
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by SoCalIFDpilot SoCalIFDpilot wrote:

Friends -

I was flying with my CFII today. We had an IFR approach loaded in the IFD540, and it was active.

My instructor then said to go into OBS mode and fly to a specific fix, and hold on a radial. So I switched to OBS made, dialed in the radial, and navigated to the fix. Before I could enter the hold, however, the IFD sequenced back to the next leg in the loaded IFR approach. I read the Pilots Guide and the Bauer book, and it seems that this is normal behavior. So, these are my questions...

1. Am I correct...is what I've described the normal way the IFD handles this scenario?
2. Is there any way to disable this functionality?
3. Assuming there's no way to disable this functionality, how would I handle this request from my CFII? In other words, with an IFR approach already loaded, is there any way to go into OBS mode and then hold at a fix (for an indeterminate time) before the IFD sequences to the next leg in the IFR approach?

Thanks everyone!
  1. That is normal IFD behavior
  2. I'm not aware of any user settings that will disable this OBS behavior
  3. As long as that OBS fix is not at or inside of the FAF, you can build the appropriate hold at the IFD OBS fix. OBS mode is simply a special GPS navigation mode that allows the user to select a rhumb line magnetic GPS course to/from a non-VOR fix. In the case of a IFD VOR fix, the OBS rhumb line GPS course is adjusted to overlay the matching VOR radial at the station. Once the aircraft crosses the OBS fix, the IFD switches back to GPS mode and assumes it should proceed to the next leg. If the next leg is a hold at the fix, then the IFD will switch back to GPS mode upon crossing the fix and will command guidance to enter holding.

If your CFII was trying to use OBS mode to simulate raw data VHF navigation based holding, the IFD OBS mode really isn't designed for that as you found out.    
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 10:16am
The IFD has robust Hold capability, which should always be used when a Hold is needed.  If the instructor wants you to undertake a hold manually, he/she should use raw VOR data.  OBS function is part of the flight plan so automatic sequencing is appropriate.  It is a course to or from a FP waypoint.  The Hold should be entered as the next waypoint in the FP.  The only time OBS mode won’t sequence is if the OBS course doesn’t cross a FP leg or waypoint.

It’s my understanding that GTN units in OBS mode don’t auto sequence, which may be setting an expectation for your instructor.

There are lots of ways to teach the functionality of OBS mode.  However, trying to force the IFD to behave in a manner that is incompatible with real world methods is not one of them.  Teaching holds using OBS mode has no practical application.  Teaching Holds using raw VOR data is an important skill to impart.  

Bob
SoCalIFDpilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

The IFD has robust Hold capability, which should always be used when a Hold is needed.  If the instructor wants you to undertake a hold manually, he/she should use raw VOR data.  OBS function is part of the flight plan so automatic sequencing is appropriate.  It is a course to or from a FP waypoint.  The Hold should be entered as the next waypoint in the FP.  The only time OBS mode won’t sequence is if the OBS course doesn’t cross a FP leg or waypoint.

It’s my understanding that GTN units in OBS mode don’t auto sequence, which may be setting an expectation for your instructor.

There are lots of ways to teach the functionality of OBS mode.  However, trying to force the IFD to behave in a manner that is incompatible with real world methods is not one of them.  Teaching holds using OBS mode has no practical application.  Teaching Holds using raw VOR data is an important skill to impart.  

Helpful. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic