Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Trainer App for XPlane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vancinad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 5:00pm
What are the requirements for the IFD Trainer Xp app? I have two iPads, one mini (Model MD965LL/A) running iOS 9.3.5 and the other a full size iPad (Model MD363LL/A) running iOS 9.3.6. When trying to install I get the message, '"IFD Trainer Xp" is not compatible with this iPad'.

The app lists only iOS 9.1 as a requirement. Is this inaccurate or is there something else I'm missing?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 9:02pm
Pretty sure it can still run on iOS 9, but the iPad has to be 64-bit capable.  Your iPads are both 32-bit.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
vancinad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vancinad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 3:04pm
Ah, that makes sense. Perfect. Thanks, Steve!
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:11pm
Steve, thank you for getting this capability past the finish line!  It was pretty straight forward to get it up and running especially after reading the forums.  Now to test with the Carenado CT206H.
Kenny Rounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:08pm
FYI:

I did a quick initial test in flight with the Tourque sim SR22 Entegra model.

The STEC 55 version seemed to follow the flight plan and comm settings matched the 430 in the cockpit display.

The DFC90 version did not seem to work at all. Tried both NAV and GPSS with no luck at all.

In both cases it did not seem to match up with the HSI on the PFD.

I did not do an approach yet.
fysiojohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fysiojohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 8:59pm
Has anyone had any luck connecting X-Plane running on a MacBook Pro to the new IFD trainer XP? If so, can you please give detailed instructions as to how to make them talk to each other? I know the MacBook and i-Pad are on the same network (Foreflight is getting GPS and AHRS info without issue).

Thanks so much,

John
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 10:22pm
After trying everything and nothing worked to connect, finally found this at the bottom of the Network Settings, enabled "Accept incoming connections" and immediately connected

Edited by Ibraham - 21 Dec 2021 at 10:24pm
vancinad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vancinad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 1:07pm
I'm finding that my primary nav indicator (round dial LOC/ILS) in the Laminar 172SP is not tracking the IFD440 guidance. The indicator seems to be continuing to take its input from the in-dash Garmin 530.

Is there a trick to getting the IFD Trainer app to drive that instrument?

Disregard. It's working.

I think maybe cycling the source select button above the instrument helps "wake it up". (@avisteve: Does that make sense?)

Edited by vancinad - 01 Jan 2022 at 1:13pm
FpgaEd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FpgaEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 4:32pm
Hi Steve,

Bravo on getting this out! My (X-Plane/FTS based) simulator for my Columbia 350 (below) has been mothballed since I upgraded from the GNS430s to IFD440s.

Since I'll need to get a dedicated ipad to move forward I tried looking for a list of 64 bit iPads but easier said than done! I finally found this on the web:

https://sine.support/en/articles/5078257-how-to-check-if-your-ipad-is-32-bit-or-64-bit

Hope this helps others.

LarryPetro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 6:19pm
Ed,

Nice setup!

-Larry
Larry Petro - Columbia 350 @ KFME
extremewhiteshark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote extremewhiteshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 4:20pm
I think I have found my problem with trying to connect my Ipad IFD 100 XP app to X Plane 11. After giving up with my newer Ipad Pro I decided to download the IFD100 XP app on my ipad mini. To my amazement this works perfectly fine and also I noticed that when I first opened the IFD 100 xp app on the ipad mini it asked if I wanted to grant local network access. It never asked me for this on my Ipad Pro. That got me thinking
If you go to settings on your ipad and scroll all the way down to the IFD trainer xp app - on my ipad mini I have a green radio button allowing local network access whereas on my ipad pro I do not have that option. I have no idea why the difference.

So the question is - can I grant access to the IFD trainer app to the local network on my ipad pro? I like the bigger screen for home simulation on the pro.

Thanks and I hope this was of some help
Dr P
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 4:40pm
I have an iPad Pro 10.5", and the local network and it has the button to allow local network access. Maybe try deleting and reinstalling the app.
AviLance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviLance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 5:00pm
Glad you were able to get to the root of the problem. Local network access is essential to connect to the Xplane 11 simulator running on your home network. The pop-up in which you grant access to devices on your local network will occur when you first start the Trainer Xp app on your iPad.

What version of iOS are you running on your iPad Pro? It seems that Apple has had issues with the Local Networking access feature in the past that was corrected in the later releases of iOS14. See the link below: 

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/660485
extremewhiteshark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote extremewhiteshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 3:59am
thanks for the replies, the ipad pro software is up to date and I have reinstalled the IFD 100 XP app several times but every time it does NOT ask for local network access and therefore won't connect to x plane. Very strange that it is ok on the ipad mini and not on the ipad pro

Dr P
BoeingBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoeingBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 1:04pm
For some reason I managed to get the Trainer XP to connect to X-Plane 11.55 for one session and now it simply won't connect for love nor money! Other Apps connect okay and I've tried all the solutions on the posts above to no avail.

I'm running Win10 64bit and trying to connect an iPad Air (MD792B/B) running software 12.5.5

I've tried removing the app and reinstalling it. I note it was updated recently on the App Store to version 10.3. 

I'm in the UK and we commonly use an app called SkyDemon. That works instantly so the iPad and the PC are obviously talking. 

It would be great if Avidyne could make this app function. It leaves you so far behind in what independant software creators like RealityXP offer the Garmin user. 

Edited by BoeingBoy - 04 Feb 2022 at 3:35am
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 11:55pm
Been using the Trainer XP in the last few days -- and I've finally think i figured out what works and what doesn't work on my setup.

What works:

Works great with the XPlane C172 with Steam Gauges.  

What doesn't work:

If the airplane has an HSI, then the Trainer doesn't drive the HSI properly ..  -- 

For example: the C172 G1000 .. the Trainer does not drive the HSI properly .. it will drive the autopilot correctly though, but the HSI shows some other course than the one being flown.   

i know that you need to cycle through GPS / VLOC / GPS to get the IFD trainer to override the FPL from the xplane nav .. -- but even after that the course on the HSI is not the course being flown.

Same thing happens if you add the G5 instruments from x-aviation .. the trainer wont drive the HSI in the x-aviation C172 -- but will drive the autopilot correctly.

This is not a huge deal since it works just fine on the steam gauge C172 .. and i'm just trying to practice shooting approaches so the CDI + DG is good enough for practice.  but it would be nice it worked with the G1000 HSI.

Anyone else seeing this problem? -- is there a configuration switch somewhere i might be missing? .. 

Another bug i found is that if you use the Trainer XP 10.3 and the IFD100 (10.3) ..  -- selecting a frequency on the IFD100 does not set the frequency on the Trainer XP ..  (it just does nothing).

Again, not a huge deal, but just reporting.

My real world airplane is getting an IFD440 installed right now, so i've been really enjoyig the trainer, the trainer xp and the IFD100 as i practice while i wait for the shop to complete the upgrade.

Edited by ricardo - 16 Mar 2022 at 11:56pm
rfriend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 2:40pm
My experience is identical to yours. (usually in this case x-plane gets blamed for code not being open) I hope it gets addressed. Thanks for posting your experience.
BoeingBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoeingBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 12:07pm
Having posted that I simply couldn't get the app to work after its initial session, I can happily report that I've managed to solve the issue by completely reformatting my iPad.

The trainer app seemed to be frozen at the last position it was in use (being the Dutch coast) and nothing seemed to free it, including deletion and reinstallation. It would still just go back to where it was and freeze.

The app now happily connects to X-Plane without an issue, and also runs alongside my VFR (Skydemon) app. 

The only question I have is to ask if it's possible to reduce the size of the font to the same as that shown in the 10.3 trainer. It looks a little oversized in comparison. 

Edited by BoeingBoy - 23 Apr 2022 at 1:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic