Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Proper Way to Setup Audio on IFD550

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wpierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper Way to Setup Audio on IFD550
    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 11:03am
Is there a proper way to set up the audio on an IFD550 for best reception? I have another brand that receives a signal from Center 5 to 10 minutes sooner. Center can hear me on the 550 but I can't hear them, and I don't get a RX in the window.

If the proper answer is: "Read the Manual, it's in there!" is the proper response, that's ok, the manual is in the plane and the plane is in annual...
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 1:15pm
there is nothing special to setup. 

The only question I would have in terms of hearing a distant transmission, is it simply your squelch isn't opening? or even if you force the squelch open you can't hear the transmission?

I found my 440's receive range is not great, I'm using the furthest forward antenna which is about 4 ft from the next closest comm antenna.
jimmyz80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:53pm
I've also struggled with receive range on my 540 and 440 ever since I moved to CA. In mountainous areas I usually have to wait much longer to get reception from departure control, than the aircraft departing ahead of me. :(
2006 Cirrus SR22 - IFD540 IFD440 DFC90 AXP322 MLB100
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 8:14am
This is unfortunately a thing that happens-- different radios from different manufacturers have different performance characteristics, not to mention that in most installations there will be variations due to the condition and quality of cabling, couplers, and antennas, and then not to mention that on any given day the ATC facilities you're talking to are using an unholy mess of 1960s-era radios and antennas themselves.

In my case, there are some spots along my frequent routes where Memphis Center will report me as "broken and unreadable" about 80% of the time when I use my IFD, but never with my Garmin 255 on COM2. When I'm out in central Kansas, I have the reverse problem with KC Center. The receive range on the IFD is consistently better for picking up distant ATIS/AWOS. 

The IFD is perfectly healthy, the VSWR on the antenna path is good, and it overall works great-- Memphis just can't hear me when I'm near Muscle Shoals. So it goes. 
wpierce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wpierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 5:12pm
Well, the plane is in annual and while there I'm having the Avidyne's and "the other brands" antennae input switched. So hopefully the Avidyne will now pick up better than the other radio.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic