Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loading Future NAV Updates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loading Future NAV Updates
    Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 1:53pm
Friends: I realize this question probably has been answered before, but I couldn't find it in the Forum or in the IFD540 pilot's guide.

As you know, Jeppesen often makes NAV database updates available well in advance of their effective dates. If I update my NAV data with a future effective date, can I legally use that database for IFR flying in advance of its effective date?

Does the IFD keep both the current NAV data and the future NAV data in memory? Or, perhaps more likely the future NAV data overwrites the current NAV data?

Obviously, I don't want to get into a situation where I can't legally fly IFR approaches because my NAV data hasn't yet reached its effective date. Or is Jepp NAV data usable as soon as it's released, regardless of its actual effective date. 

Thanks for helping clear up my confusion!

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 3:45pm
The IFD's only have one database, so the simple answers to your questions are no, no, and yes.
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 4:26pm
I just update my USB stick when convenient, in my family room, it lives in my flightbag.

Then, if I am about to fly, and a database has expired in the IFD, I pull out the stick and update it right there and then, in the plane.

Simple.

It was cool that the venerable CNX80 would keep a current and future database in memory, but that is one thing that the IFD didn't build into its design.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Oct 2021 at 4:28pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by GMSutton GMSutton wrote:

...As you know, Jeppesen often makes NAV database updates available well in advance of their effective dates. If I update my NAV data with a future effective date, can I legally use that database for IFR flying in advance of its effective date?

Does the IFD keep both the current NAV data and the future NAV data in memory? Or, perhaps more likely the future NAV data overwrites the current NAV data?...
Yes, you can legally use a not-yet-effective database for IFR.  However, you need to verify that the database still matches the currently charted procedure(s) that you plan to use.  If it doesn't, then you'll need to have the current charts on board and follow those procedure(s) rather than relying 100% on the IFD.

The IFD only holds one nav database.  If you load not-yet-effective data, that overwrites whatever was in there before.

It's an oft requested feature to have the IFD contain two databases.  There is enough memory to do that, but the software just doesn't do that right now.  If we were to allow that, however, the IFD would still not switch database cycles when the clock strikes midnight.  Instead, at the next power up, the IFD would load the nav database that is current given the system date.  I'm not saying we're doing it, I'm just saying how it would work...

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

....If we were to allow that, however, the IFD would still not switch database cycles when the clock strikes midnight. 

FWIW, data switches at 9z. ;-)

* Orest
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:02am
I also just update my Avidyne thumb drive at home on the computer and toss it in my small flight bag.

When I want the update done I simply insert the thumb drive prior to engine start and avionics power up.

When the avionics are powered up it automatically enters the update menu and my update is done as I’m getting ATIS with COM 2 and getting ready to taxi. It doesn’t take long and the IFD typically gets rebooted prior to taxi.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic