Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD100 Mobile App
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Connecting the IFD100 to the 440's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting the IFD100 to the 440's
    Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:20pm
I just got the my two 440's installed.  Today I tried to connect the panel to my Ipad.  I managed to connect Foreflight and transfer a flight plane across, but the IFD 100 does not connect. (Origin at KBED, no frequency, unit complains about no COM and no GPS.)
I downloaded the database using the same Jepp subscription.  settings look proper (WIFI local network access allowed, IFD440, chassis #1. Ipad #1)  Wifi ADS-B support is enabled but I tried only on the IFD frequency at this stage.

What am I missing?

Additional three questions:
1) I have a Stratus 2.  Are there problems using it as the network source hub (DHCP and all)?

2) If the IFD network is set to join the Stratus network, and the stratus fails in flight, does the IFD automatically fallback to its own network?

3) In Foreflight, I do not have the small exchange with the panel icon on the top.  I managed to sync flight plane from FF to the IFD using the 'send to'.   However why don't I get the small icon I saw in one of the webinars, and if not available, how do i get the IFD to sync with the IPAD?

TNX!
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Saltamar Saltamar wrote:

I just got the my two 440's installed.  Today I tried to connect the panel to my Ipad.  I managed to connect Foreflight and transfer a flight plane across, but the IFD 100 does not connect.
We are aware of an issue in iOS15 that prevents the IFD100 from connecting.  We're close to releasing a fix for that, so BOLO for an update on the app store.

1) I have a Stratus 2.  Are there problems using it as the network source hub (DHCP and all)?
No, it's fully supported.

2) If the IFD network is set to join the Stratus network, and the stratus fails in flight, does the IFD automatically fallback to its own network?
No, you need to manually switch back to the IFD's own network.

3) In Foreflight, I do not have the small exchange with the panel icon on the top.  I managed to sync flight plane from FF to the IFD using the 'send to'.   However why don't I get the small icon I saw in one of the webinars, and if not available, how do i get the IFD to sync with the IPAD?

Foreflight recently moved the transfer icon to the bottom of the FPL window.  If that's what you are referring to, the FPL needs to be expanded to see it.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Saltamar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 4:33pm
TNX.  Will wait on the IFD100 release.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

I just got the my two 440's installed.  Today I tried to connect the panel to my Ipad.  I managed to connect Foreflight and transfer a flight plane across, but the IFD 100 does not connect.
We are aware of an issue in iOS15 that prevents the IFD100 from connecting.  We're close to releasing a fix for that, so BOLO for an update on the app store.

There is an updated IFD100 app for AviOS 10.2 that became available on the App Store in the last day. This update is advertised as having a small number of bug fixes and improvements for iOS 15. Is this not the IFD100 update that includes the fix for iOS 15.0.1?  
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

There is an updated IFD100 app for AviOS 10.2 that became available on the App Store in the last day. This update is advertised as having a small number of bug fixes and improvements for iOS 15. Is this not the IFD100 update that includes the fix for iOS 15.0.1?  
Yes, you have the right one.  The version on the app store that fixes the connection issues that occurred with iOS15 is named "IFD100 10.2" and is version 10.3.0.  That's not confusing at all ;)  It was submitted to the app store on October 15 (last Friday).

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
bnunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 6:22pm
I recently replaced my Garmin 430w/530w radios with IFD 550/440's. I'm learning and soaking up any knowledge I can lay my hands on. I have seen and read of people using both the IDF100 and Foreflight on the same iPad at the same time. This forum is having a good discussion on issues related connecting  to splitting the screen. So you guys seem to be way ahead of me. I have a Stratus 3 that I regularly connect to my iPad/Forflight. If I have my iPad connected to Stratus 3 Wifi, I am unable to also connect to the IFD 550 so that I can run IFD100. So far, I've been unable to find either a video or a discussion how to properly configure the IFD 550 and the iPad to work together with the Stratus 3 and Foreflight. I did put the IFD 550 into "maintenance" mode and added my Stratus Wifi name and password. I also changed the Stratus Wifi from "local" to "remote". After updating and rebooting, I went to AUX - Setup - User Options - Networking and changed from LIO to Stratus. However, the IFD 550 Wifi icon never changed to green. I would appreciate and directions, instructions or videos anyone can direct me to. 
Bob Nunn
Saltamar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saltamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:03pm
Hi Bob,
Yes, I too am still learning the IFD's and unfortunately they are anything but intuitive.

The trick is to set up a -correct- user profile on the IFD.
1) Only one of the IFD units should be enabled.
2) You set up network configuration in the maintenance mode.  Go to Aux, sys tab, press the "download logs" on the left. alternatively, power the unit with the USB drive plugged in.
3) go too the 'config' tab, and select the network configuration page (small right knob).
There will be the default network setting - if you want to change the name to something more  reasonable - go for it.
4) In the second line enter the name that your stratus uses for its wifi SSID.  Easiest way to find out is to look at the settings in your ipad.  Not sure about teh stratus 3 but I think you cannot change it on the Stratus 2 which I use.
5) If  your stratus network has a password has a password - insert it next. 

6) >>----IMPORTANT-----<<  SET THE MODE TO REMOTE.  This allows the IFD to become a DHCP client on the Stratus network, or stated differently become just a node on the stratus network.  Now, since the Ipad, Stratus, and IFD are all on the same network, they can talk to each other.

Now go back to your regular mode.  Click "done on the right, your IFD will reboot and you need to set up a user that will use the stratus.

Suggestion: try to go back to maintenance mode and check that your unit is set up as you did.  If not your units may be password protected.

After you verified that the con8fguration exists, go back to the IFD AUX <setup> tab.

7)Select the user options on the left, scroll down, and select the proper network configuration.  I made two users, one when I fly with and one without the Stratus. 

Notice that the IFD wifi takes its sweet time to wake up.  When the unit starts it asks you if to start the wifi, and it takes a long time.  Switch networks and it again takes a long time.   I don't mind because this way my ipad defaults to the stratus and when the IFD joins, I can talk to it.  By that time the IFD's are ready to fly with the flight plan and everything that I entered manually...

I am still working on how to get the IFD to receive target altitude constraints from Foreflight.  Without one of the most important features I had in the 430's is very uncomfortable to use, namely vertical speed required. Unfortunately the Avidyne user interface is at best clunky in endless aspects, but I guess we will have to learn to live with it.

Saltamar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:08pm
Bob, I forgot to stress two points:
1) Verify that the network name is exactly as it appears on the Ipad for network name. 
2) As I said, verify that the changes you made in maintenance mode caught.  If not you will need to get a password reset utility from  Avidyne.

Shalom
bnunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 1:35pm
Saltamar,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I've been here at my plane and double checking everything. I did finally get the IFD 550 to connect to the Stratus network. I still was not able to get the IFD100 to update. So, I'm going to make sure I have the correct versions and databases for both.

One thing I did note of the IFD 550 System - Status Software page. In the 3rd column that starts with TAWS. Underneath that mine says ENET/IO. Seems that I read somewhere that should say WIFI/IO. Do you happen to know what it's suppose to say and if incorrect, where I can change it? I'm going to start digging through my installation manual and see what I can find.

I think something is still not right because when I rebooted the IFD 550, it would again not connect to the Stratus.

Best regards,

Bob
Bob Nunn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic