Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Squelch not working on one frequency

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squelch not working on one frequency
    Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 12:21pm
Here's a weird one. Yesterday I flew nine hours from Florida to Ontario, IFR, so many frequencies. Squelch worked as expected until I switched to 119.400, then it seemed like a stuck mic on frequency, but no one else commented. I checked on COM2, no problem, back to COM1/540, problem still there. It would occasionally stop, but was static 95% of the time. I switched to COM2 while on that frequency, then played around with the 540. My (not exhaustive) testing showed that the static issue occurred only on 119.400. When I left the area, I resumed using COM1, which was normal again. Shortly after, I landed for fuel, so the 540 got power-cycled. Maybe that would help.

All was good until, near home, I wanted to monitor a nearby airport frequency which was on 119.400. Sure enough, the static issue reappeared. (I have used that nearby airport's frequency many times without issue, so it seems to be a new behaviour.)

My troubleshooting eliminated:
  • SQ was off: I checked it multiple times and verified in Aux Audio settings. Turning it on/off made no difference.
  • SQ failed totally: only 119.400 was affected.
  • A problem in the incoming transmission: COM2 was not affected, issue recurred at the later station on that frequency.
119.400 worked locally before, so that's one change. Anything I missed?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic