Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changes with 10.3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes with 10.3
    Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 5:01pm
I‘ve started looking at the IFD Trainer which is now at 10.3, giving us some pre-release insights into coming changes.

One of the most obvious differences is the new layout for settings under AUX/SETUP. Personally, I find this an improvement although it is not yet entirely clear how some of the presets map to the user presets…. that is, how/if changing one affects the other. That may become clear with a little more time investment. The grouping will make it much easier and quicker to find, validate, and change options…. important since the number of setup options has grown quite long.

The setup options for VNAV of angle or fpm is nice.

Steve mentioned that 10.3 would support IAPs with RF legs. When loading an IAP with RF legs using a 2021 Jepp navdata db, the loaded IAP would start at the FAF. Now, with navdata db cycle 2201, the full IAP is loaded starting at the IAF and the simulator flies the approach incl RF legs! So that is now confirmed!!!! Many thanks Steve! Can‘t wait now for the actual 10.3 to be released.

It would be interesting to hear what anyone else has discovered so far. I for one would like to understand what is meant by and different in the 3-arc second Terrain Data option that was announced back in June.

Edited by chflyer - 30 Jan 2022 at 5:35pm
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 10:47am
Steve, when doing a VORDME IAP using the IFD Trainer (now 10.3) a new softkey appears on the left after passing the FAF. It contains a V with a horizontal arrow through the middle running left to right. It reacts to a touch, but nothing changes on the Trainer display. Could you indicate what this button does? Is there a now +V guidance being sent to the HSI? The button disappears about halfway to the MAP. Of course, since the Trainer doesn't have a VHF signal it stays in GPS mode. There is no vertical guidance indication that I can see on the SVS display, but perhaps I'm just missing it.

I know this is jumping the gun a bit, but the new Trainer does give us some opportunity to explore the new 10.3 features while we're waiting for the "real thing". ;-) I'm having fun practicing my new IAPs with RF legs so I'll be able to jump in the plane and go. :-) :-)

Edited by chflyer - 02 Feb 2022 at 10:59am
Vince
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 12:31pm
See this post: V with Arrow in FMS - Avidyne Online Community (avidynelive.com)

Edited by dmtidler - 02 Feb 2022 at 10:00pm
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 6:08pm
The search link doesn't work. I also tried searching for Vnav+direct and nothing came up.
R0bst3r View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R0bst3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 6:18pm
Direct to the VDP?  Just a guess. 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 6:36pm
Thanks dmtidler.

Yes, the link doesn't work. But just search on two words with a blank between: vnav direct. The thread is titled "V with Arrow in FMS"

What is interesting about that thread is that the V with arrow talks about being related to enroute VNAV with a target altitude for a fix. This is what I suspected since that function was mentioned in the first posting in the thread related to the upcoming AviOS 10.3.

In the screenshot I posted above, it appeared during a VORDME approach after passing the FAF and disappeared again about half way to the MAP. It may be that the trainer behaviour is a bit "distorted" since there is no VHF signal in the trainer so it continues using GPS as the nav source.

Probably best to continue this discussion in the "V with Arrow in FMS" thread.

Edited by chflyer - 02 Feb 2022 at 6:40pm
Vince
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 10:01pm
I believe I fixed the link above.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic