Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - IFD440 and 540 Integrates with Aviation Handhelds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD440 and 540 Integrates with Aviation Handhelds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD440 and 540 Integrates with Aviation Handhelds
    Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 1:16pm
This thread will hopefully quash recent rumors that the IFD440 and 540 won't support/integrate/work with legacy aviation handhelds.

The IFD series of touchscreen FMS/GPS/Nav/Coms do supply data and interact with those legacy handhelds that use the Aviation 232 protocol.   That has always been the plan and it works just fine and I've posted some images to help reinforce this integration.  Those pics can be found at:

http://www.avidynelive.com/forum_images/avidyne-handheld-1.jpg
http://www.avidynelive.com/forum_images/avidyne-handheld-2.jpg

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 2:28pm
Hi Steve,

Is the connection in the photos to the the RS232 connector on the rear of the IFDxxx (i.e. would be set up in an aircraft via an external RS232 jack wired behind the panel to the IFD tray)? I believe this is the way a remote unit is connected to a 430 and since the two are plug-compatible .....

Will this also allow reception and display on the IFDxxx of RS232 data such as traffic input from a Zaon XRX? I believe this works on a 430.

Another question not really on-subject but similar, the 430 allows import of flight plans and waypoints from a PC via a Flight Plan Migrator kit containing software/hardware that writes data via USB cable to a Garmin data card that is then inserted in the 2nd Garmin slot. Is it possible to achieve the same thing on the IFDxxx, and if so how? Via USB port? If yes, what is needed on the PC side to make the transfer?

Regards,
Vince

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 10:00am
Hi Vince,

Apologies for delayed response.

The picture from the lab is just a lab thing.  We have a 496 wired directly to the back of the tray in the airplane which is a pretty standard way of doing it.

As for the Zaon, I wasn't aware that it displayed on a 430.  Can you confirm that it is and what all the configuration settings on the 430 are to support that?

As for importing flight plans and waypoints, the IFD540 is designed to support that via the front bezel USB port BUT, we deferred that capability out of the initial release for time-to-market reasons.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 9:10pm
A 430 will NOT accept Zaon traffic. No can do.

* Orest
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic