Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Avidyne or Jeppesen issue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avidyne or Jeppesen issue?
    Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 10:27am
Is this an Avidyne or Jeppesen issue and how do I report it to get it fixed?

When correctly tuning in the ATIS for MMU the Avidyne incorrectly identifies the frequency as belonging to SMQ ASOS.

Both airports are close to each other near EWR but the frequencies are:

MMU ATIS 124.25
SMQ ASOS 120.6

This has been like this for as long as I've owned the IFD.

-PA
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 11:26am
I just tested this at my desk and it works OK.  I'm using an Americas database that expired on December 30, 2021 and the IFD has 10.2.6.1 loaded.  I put the aircraft at KEWR and tuned 124.25.  The frequency block showed KMMU ATIS.  Then I tuned 120.6 and it showed KSMQ ASOS.

Post back with similar details of your setup.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 11:28am
I'll take a picture of the display next time I'm flying.  

Unless it was just fixed... 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 11:31am
What database cycle do you have loaded and what software version are you running?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 11:50am
I'm running the latest 10.2 software (10.2.6.1?).  The database on the unit is current, but I can't confirm if the problem was there on the last flight.

I did however start up the 10.2.3 IFD simulator loaded the current Jeppesen database set my origin to be KVAY and destination to KMMU and then dialed in 124.25 and sure enough it displayed SMQ ATIS (sorry I said ASOS previously), so it is functioning exactly the same as the unit in the plane.

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 1:57pm
It shouldn't happen with the current database, so I can't explain the simulator behavior at this point.  But...

For a while, Jeppesen was delivering secondary weather frequencies for some airports.  The IFD constructs the identifier using the airport and the facility type.  So, even though the ATIS is actually at KMMU, the fact that the frequency is also associated with KSMQ, the IFD would construct "KSMQ ATIS".  Around cycle 2106, we had Jeppesen stop delivering those secondary weather frequencies to alleviate the problem.  There is a 10.3.1 update pending to fix it and then we'll have them start including those frequencies again.

What database cycle is loaded into the IFD in your airplane?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

It shouldn't happen with the current database, so I can't explain the simulator behavior at this point.  But...

For a while, Jeppesen was delivering secondary weather frequencies for some airports.  The IFD constructs the identifier using the airport and the facility type.  So, even though the ATIS is actually at KMMU, the fact that the frequency is also associated with KSMQ, the IFD would construct "KSMQ ATIS".  Around cycle 2106, we had Jeppesen stop delivering those secondary weather frequencies to alleviate the problem. 
Not sure how the MMU ATIS frequency is associated with SMQ which doesn't have an ATIS.  The only thing I found was on the VOR 8 approach was the note to use the MMU altimeter setting if a local setting was not received, but the plate doesn't include the MMU frequency.  Is this the the association you are referring to?  BTW the note is not on the plates for the other two approaches, at least on the NACO (NOS) plates.

There is a 10.3.1 update pending to fix it and then we'll have them start including those frequencies again.

Anticipation....  btw I see the same behavior on the on the 10.3 simulator

What database cycle is loaded into the IFD in your airplane?

Here's some more info for you, on the simulator (this time 10.3)  if you are coming from the south (like KVAY) the IFD will recognize 124.25 as SMQ ATIS, however if you are coming from the north, (like KSWF) the IFD will recognize 124.25 properly as MMU ATIS.  I think this scenario is matched exactly on the IFD unit in the aircraft.

Edited by PA23 - 08 Feb 2022 at 2:34pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 3:12pm
OK I found it.  The raw data does still include secondary weather frequencies for airports that have associated heliports.  KSMQ is one of those and it has KMMU ATIS as a secondary weather frequency.  I've asked Jeppesen to start excluding those frequencies.  That change won't likely make it into 2202, so you'll have to wait until 2203 for it to clear up.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 10:24am

OK I found it.  The raw data does still include secondary weather frequencies for airports that have associated heliports.  KSMQ is one of those and it has KMMU ATIS as a secondary weather frequency.  I've asked Jeppesen to start excluding those frequencies.  That change won't likely make it into 2202, so you'll have to wait until 2203 for it to clear up.

I've waiting this long waiting in silence I'm sure I can wait until 2203.  More importantly thank you for identifying the issue.

What I found odd was that the name of the identified frequency changed depending upon the direction you were approaching MMU from which is why you didn't see it if you were coming from EWR while I would see if it I was coming from VAY, but not from SWF.  I'm guessing the logic in the IFD is to pick the closest name that matches the frequency entered.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 10:35am
Correct.  That logic uses the nearest list.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 4:36pm
>>>I can wait until 2203<<<

I'm hoping that, THAT, is either "Z" time, or local time.... and not year.

Regards,
Randy

(Just funnin' ya'all..)
Regards,
Randy
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 4:44pm
LOL.  And, as luck would have it, I just now heard back from Jepp and we barely missed the 2203 cutoff so it will be 2204!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic