Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 540 and STEC3100 Approach question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rallylancer122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 540 and STEC3100 Approach question
    Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 10:07am
Yesterday I was flying the RNAV 11 into KOCQ.  Arriving from the northeast the procedure calls for a hold entry to begin the approach.   No problem, the IFD  planned it out nicely with a right hand tear drop entry, and in NAV mode my STEC3100 tracked it perfectly.   However,  if I armed APR mode before the plane was lined up on the final approach course the plane would turn off to the left.

I think I know what's happening,  but I just want to confirm.  For some reason, when setting up the IFD/3100 interface it's necessary to disable roll steering during approach. When I activate the approach in my IFD my HSI just shows the final approach course even though the full procedure is shown in the flight plan.   In NAV mode the 3100 is following roll steering commands to fly the hold.  In APR mode it just looks at the HSI and sees it's off course,  and is thus abandoning the procedure in an attempt to capture that course.

Is this correct?   If so, is there something I should be doing differently?   It's not a big deal, I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic