Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 540 not talking to JPI 930

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcDMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 540 not talking to JPI 930
    Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 2:17pm
i had a new JPI 930 engine monitor installed to replace Auracle engine monitor.  Now the IFD 540 is not talking to the JPI to get fuel information.  My mechanic can't figure it out.  Can anyone recommend an avionics shop in Texas that has experience with both IFD 540 and JPI 930?
McD
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 5:08pm
JAG Avionics (https://jagaviationinc.com/), in McGregor, installed my hangarmate's IFD440 and seems to be knowledgeable. I would take my plane there if I needed service. Another shop nearby that I hear good things about is Crystal Avionics, in New Braunfels. 

Edited by HenryM - 31 Dec 2022 at 5:08pm
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 9:25pm
Assuming the connection between the JPI and the IFD is wired correctly take a look at this web page as you probably have the communication protocol set incorrectly.

https://techsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/491-ifd-fuel-flow-interfaces-training/

SHADIN Z aka FADC - This 137-byte message includes two fuel information items;  fuel flow rate and fuel used.
ARNAV/EI - This 13-byte message includes two fuel information items; fuel flow rate and fuel remaining.
SHADIN FUEL - This 55-byte message includes three fuel information items; fuel flow rate, fuel used, and fuel remaining.

Here's a table that summarizes the above information.

Fuel flow rate

Fuel used

Fuel remaining

SHADIN Z / FADC

Y

Y

ARNAV / EI

Y

Y

SHADIN FUEL

Y

Y

Y

Specifically you want page (slide) #8, you need to set the JPI and the IFD so that they are talking the same protocol.  If I'm reading the information correctly I think you want to set the JPI to be "Garmin/Shadin Miniflow format" and set the IFD to be "Shadin-fuel" on the input serial interface the JPI is connected to.

-PA
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 11:45pm
Your IFD isn't taking information from JPI but is it working in other direction? I have IFD540 and JPI830. JPI also need the destination information to show you fuel required to destination. DO you know how are these two wired together before jumping into configurations. I think they talk over RS232.

PA28-236 @N14
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 6:38pm
IFD540 and JPI 930

I tried this with the JPI GPS-C set to 1 and the RS232 channel 2 set to 
IN Shadin-Fuel and 
out as Aviation

I can see activity on the Comm port  2050 bytes and increasing.  If the wiring was wrong, would I still be getting activity on the port?

I still do not see the fuel management screen displaying the fuel remaining or any fuel flow.

Any ideas?  I did upgrade to 10.3.1.2

Edited by cavu - 08 Jul 2023 at 6:38pm
rsharp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 6:19pm
I've installed a few of these JPIs interfaced to Avidyne's and Garmin's.
Verify your Port settings on the Avidyne.
(I Used Shadin-fadc;Aviation, Your setting is one of the 2 options)

Ensure the JPI format is set correctly internally.

These were my settings for a EDM 960:
GPS BAUD RATE #3: 9600
GPS INPUT #3: AVIATION / BENDIX
GPS OUTPUT #6: GNS 430/530-WP

Settings for an EDM 900 That worked fine with a 550 and a 540.
GPS FORMAT #6: GNS 430/530-WP

The JPI interface guide showed both versions.

To check your settings on the JPI download your settings file to a USB stick and dump/print the .txt file. (Instructions below)
Randy

________
To capture settings, insert USB into EDM when EDM is in normal mode, download new, EDM will give download progress and when complete will state so, wait until EDM reverts to normal mode before pulling USB out. Download should have a text file with your settings and fuel tables.

cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 8:22pm
How do you set these baud rates etc?  Didn't think those were even exposed to user.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic