Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Navdata update rollover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navdata update rollover
    Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 3:33pm
There was an older GPS unit that had a cool feature that would allow you to upload a navdata update, but it would not take effect until the validity time rolled in. Until that time, the previously uploaded data would remain in effect.

A navdata update that is not yet valid, can be as troublesome as a navdata update that has expired.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Dec 2012 at 3:35pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 5:48pm
Not sure I follow but our system will present the database status page at startup if, and only if, one or more of the databases is out of date.  It also depicts the out of date data in yellow and identifies when it does expire and when a new database edition is ready.

If your system is current on all databases (Nav, Charts, Obstacles) then that page is bypassed at startup.  No news = good news in that the databases are current.

Am I missing your point?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 6:55pm
I think the question is this:

The current database expires December 15.  On December 10 a new database becomes available.  He installs it on December 11 and goes flying.

Which database will the IFD540 use during his flight?  I think the correct answer is the one that expires December 15, not the newer one.   Am I right?

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 10:47pm
Yes, Paul has the question correct. In essence, can I install a new database BEFORE its validity date, yet still have the old database in use, UNTIL the new validity date passes.

The G model will simply overwrite the old database, regardless of the date/time and the validity time. On the G model, you need to time the installation correctly.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Dec 2012 at 10:48pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 3:53pm
We only store one database too.  If you load nav data before the effective date, it overwrites the current data.  The FMS will still work, but technically, the data is not supposed to be used.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 4:30pm
Oh well, just thought that since the IFD540 is the BMW of GPS units ...  (wink)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 16 Dec 2012 at 4:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic