Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Subscription Requirements?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subscription Requirements?
    Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:30pm
What subscription requirements will an IFD 540 purchaser need in order to use the unit IFR for WAAS approaches?

Assume the purchaser has all required charts and plates in the cockpit and will not desire charts or plates on the IFD 540.

What the purchaser will need is the legal updates needed to fly the approaches using the IFD 540.

For example, my current CNX 80 (aka GNS 480) requires an updated database from Jepp every 28 days. That's it.

IFD 540?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:53pm
I'm not Avidyne, but I am rather certain that that is all that would be req'd of the IFD540, just like any other WAAS GPS panel mount.

In addition to that, from talking to Jepp, I understand that the chart view facility on the device is  likely to be only a small cost upgrade over and above your regular electronic subscription. Obviously, that is not req'd to be IFR legal.

* Orest

Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 3:11am
Hey Jim,

Good to see you here to cause trouble <g>.....

I'm hoping the certification will be identical to the 480, where you only need to VERIFY that the data is current. So one can legally fly an approach with an out dated subscription, as long as the particular chart is current. 

However, could be moot for us, and I suspect we will keep our 480s, correct?
Larryo
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 11:06am
The IFD540 design is such that if any of the data is out of date, the start up screen will indicate that in yellow with all of the pertinent dates displayed (if they are all current, that page is automatically skipped at start up).  If any are out of date, the data is still usable, but the page (e.g. chart page) is watermarked with a subtle "Out of Date" indication and you can still read/use the chart anyway you see fit.

I don't expect to be forced to publish (e.g. in the Pilot Guide or Install Manual) any kind of restrictive statement that declares an out-of-date data situation to be "illegal" or not authorized to fly WAAS procedures.  I do expect to publish in the Install Manual the minimum requirements to conduct IFR and/or WAAS operations but that's more of an installation set of restrictions/requirements (e.g. cockpit mounting location, field of view, approved antenna set, etc) than a data currency thing.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 1:14pm
Jake,

Very good post and info..... and that's what we like to hear.

I must point out that there's a difference between flying with an out of date DATA BASE, and flying with out of date NAV DATA, or PLATE. 

The wording in the 540 Flight Manual "pilot must verify the currency of the data" gives the pilot options vs "pilot must have a current database". I believe most GPS installs have the "pilot must verify the currency of the data" in the Manual, meaning that the pilot must verify what is current and what is not, and can work easily with an out of date DATA BASE. In that case, the pilot must verify the data that he is using, is current. Fairly easy, if one has a source of current data... perhaps an IPad. Enroute, one must verify the wpts, and for the approach they must verify that the approach data is current.

As for the "out of date" message on the chart.. I suspect you mean approach plate, which certainly is appropriate. If charts are displayed (Lo, Sect, etc.) I see no issue with an "out of date" message on them. However, I'd personally prefer to not have a message of out of date on the nav data chart (other that the initial message), just like it is on the EX500.

As for approach plates, I see very little value of having them display on the 540, unless one has two of them. I feel a much better solution is to have the current date from another source, and fly the 540 with the approach data loaded from the approach field, not looking at a plate, which I could argue is not legal. (but, perhaps that's just me).

Having said all this, I do have a current data subscription for now, but feel the flexibility of such should be a pilot preference thing, and there will be times in the future when I will fly without a current data base (but I will have current data).

Old Bob (a 540 customer) offers a great seminar at some of the ABS events on this...  worthwhile.

Food for thought.....

Keep up the great work, Jake!

Larryo
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 6:59pm
Hi Jake and Larry,

There are multiple issues at play.

As Larry mentions we both have GNS 480's now. I plan on keeping mine and making it GPS/Nav/Com #2. There is a question in my mind as to the value of updating databases in both units (I'm thinking "no" unless Jepp, or whoever the provider is, makes a very attractive bundled offer).

Subscription costs are a big deal to those of us trying to keep our flying costs under control.

I'm not interested in approach plates or charts in the IFD 540, my iPad is larger and kept closer for viewing.

I will need updated approaches and all the associated data (frequencies, etc.).

Any idea on what the subscription costs will be?

Edited by SB Jim - 23 Jan 2013 at 7:01pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 6:00pm
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."  That said, you can poke around on the JeppDirect website and see the pricing for nav data updates to the Avidyne Entegra R9.  For instance, the whole-US nav data package subscription price for the R9 is $450.

Might give you an idea of what to expect for the IFDx40 products.
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 5:49pm
Thank you.
Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic