Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WIFI IFD, FF, and Sentry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WIFI IFD, FF, and Sentry
    Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 1:44pm
I use ForeFlight with a Sentry for ADS-B, and an IFD 540.  I know there’s a way to connect all three devices, so that each can talk to the other, but need a reminder of how to do that, or someone to point me to a “how to”…?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 2:28pm
I can't recall if the Sentry can be forced into GDL90 mode, or not. That is a key issue.

* Orest
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 9:19pm
Only the Stratus 3 does “open ADS-B” mode. The Sentry and previous Stratus products do not.

frankbell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 9:34am
So there’s no way to communicate a flight plan to/from the Avidyne AND see ADS-B weather from the Sentry at the same time, right?  Thought I’d seen a way to do that…
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by frankbell frankbell wrote:

So there’s no way to communicate a flight plan to/from the Avidyne AND see ADS-B weather from the Sentry at the same time, right?  Thought I’d seen a way to do that…

As long as the iPad and the IFD share a common WiFi network, you can share flight plans. This can occur by using the IFD’s WiFi network, or having the IFD and the iPad join the Sentry’s network as clients. 

If you join the Sentry’s WiFi network, you can see the ADS-B traffic and weather on the iPad, but not on the IFD screen.

To see ADS-B traffic and weather on the IFD screen as well as the iPad the best option is a Stratux, which doesn’t suffer from the ForeFlight bug consistently trying to switch the Stratus 3 into “ForeFlight mode”.

Avidyne has a great YouTube video that explains this.

frankbell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 1:49pm
Aha!  That’s what I was looking for, how to put all three on the same network.  Can you give me a link to that Avidyne video?
362PC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 362PC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 1:15pm
I posted this a few months ago and have since swapped out the Sentry for a Stratus to take advantage of the Open ADSB.  

Zdiamant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zdiamant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 1:27pm
So I understand I can connect the Stratus 3 to both FF as well as my IFD540 similar to your video posted and then transfer flight plans. My question, and hope, is do both FF and the IFD see traffic and weather from the Stratus? I have heard conflicting information regarding this and hope someone with this setup can provide real world info to share.
Thanks
362PC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 362PC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 2:55pm
The stratus creates a wifi network that both the IFD and iPad will connect to. when properly configured and setup you can send flight plans from foreflight as well as pull flight plans from panel. this is manual process and will not update either device if changes are made discreetly. 

stratus will need to have “open adsb” enabled in settings. this can be turned on with the stratus ipad app. 

IFD will need to have capstone data enabled in setup, will require a boot in maintenance mode to enable. 

once both of those options are on, the IFD can see traffic as well as ForeFlight on iPad. ForeFlight will also get weather. 

Edited by 362PC - 18 Feb 2024 at 2:57pm
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 4:17pm
The challenge with using the Stratus 3 in this way continues to be the bug in ForeFlight that keeps offering to switch the Stratus 3 into “ForeFlight mode”. 

Every time you open ForeFlight, or change focus to the app, it will ask this question, and you must press Cancel each time to keep it from switching out of Open ADS-B mode.

ForeFlight wants to do this to help you manage the Stratus, but if you, or anyone connected to your WiFi with ForeFlight, allows the app to switch modes, you’ll lose traffic and weather on the IFD until you open the Stratus Horizon app and change it back to Open ADS-B mode.

It’s quite frustrating that many people have reported this bug, but ForeFlight has so far refused to fix it.

The best answer is still to buy a Stratux instead, which doesn’t have this problem.

psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 9:56pm
I used to see that Foreflight mode message but never do any more.  I'm using a Stratus 3.  Still have some dropouts with IFD 100 but it's better than it used to be.  
R0bst3r View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R0bst3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 8:16am
What kind of drop outs are you seeing?  i get a constant issue with the IFD100 where traffic targets disappear for 15 seconds and then show back up.  Quite infuriating.  I have a Stratux, not Stratus.
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by psimpson psimpson wrote:

I used to see that Foreflight mode message but never do any more.  I'm using a Stratus 3.  Still have some dropouts with IFD 100 but it's better than it used to be.  

If you don’t see the message upon connection, it likely means that the Stratus 3 is once again in “ForeFlight mode”, and your flow of traffic and weather to the IFD has stopped.

psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 9:45pm
you are probably right, I never see any weather on the IFD anymore. remember I used to see some colored flags on the IFD map.  However all's well on the foreflight side.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic