Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

iPad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: iPad
    Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:37pm
I know Avidyne isn't providing much information yet, but perhaps I can get an answer to a question.

A pilot recently passed her instrument checkride.  Very recently - like, this morning.  Up until now she has not used an iPad in the plane.  This is about to change.

The plane she flys has a KLN-89B which is going to be replaced with an IFD540 as soon as possible.  (I could make the case that all KLN-89 owners should be placed on the early adopters list on humanitarian grounds.)

She's going to have to learn an aviation app for the iPad.  She'd prefer to not have to switch programs in a few months.  Are there better or worse choices for flying in an IFD540 aircraft?  I'm assuming Garmin Pilot is not the answer, but beyond that I don't know.

I understand that things may change but any guidance would be appreciated.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:53pm
At this point we're agnostic (except for being down on Garmin Pilot.....).  That being said, I use Foreflight every day and find that it meets all my needs and would recommend it to anyone.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:43pm
I'm intrigued, what sort of "support" for devices might be coming down the pike?

Will you also be providing support for the more broadly used android devices?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 06 May 2013 at 5:44pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:17pm
We expect to support Android devices via the tablet trainer version of the IFD540 sim.  I'm not sure when we'll be able to knock them out.  We understand the proliferation of Android devices - it's just about finding time and resources to work it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:50pm
Rog.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 06 May 2013 at 8:50pm
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 6:12pm
Jake,

What does "being down on Garmin Pilot" mean?

I've been using it for 9 months; very pleased so far.

??

Jim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 9:33pm
Just friendly competitive ribbing - no malice intended. I have the app as well and have used it a bunch and agree it's a capable system.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 8:50am
She now has an iPad running ForeFlight.  This is a game-changer.  Before, the IFD540 was going to be compared with the old KLN-89B it will replace.  Now it will be compared with ForeFlight.

I'm postponing buying any ADS-B equipment for it until I know the ADS-B capabilities of the IFD540.

Can you tell us more about the tablet trainer version of the IFD540 sim?  What platforms will it be available on?  What are the hardware requirements?  Will there be a PC or Mac version as well?  (Maybe this should be in a new note.)

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 8:09pm
I use the Ipad version of the tablet trainer every day.  It's a full IFD540 (we compiled the code in the apple development environment and added the required tweaks for optimization) that runs on an Ipad.  It needs to be an Ipad2 or later.  My preferred device is an Ipad mini - I just like the form factor better and even fly with it every day.   It behaves exactly like the 540 because it's the identical code.  We've added some tools that are arranged around the perimeter of the IFD540 image to allow you to set altitude and speed and a few other parameters.   I actually even use the device for pre-flight flight planning to help me file a preferred flight plan route.

It also works just fine on any Windows tablet.  I'll look at the tablet specs we use it on.  The only meaningful difference between the Windows tablet and the Ipad is that while the Windows tablet is touchscreen, it is not a multi-touch capable device so no pinch zooming.   This would also just run on a PC though most PCs don't support touch.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 8:31pm
Thanks.  What about Android?  I'm an Android bigot, with a portfolio of devices...

That said, my wife loves her Ipad - and it is far more important to please her than me!

Jon

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 8:36pm
My apologies for leaving off Android devices.  We definitely recognize how popular the platform has become and intend to support it but I don't have a firm position on when that will happen.   We just haven't spent any effort yet on Android platforms and are focused now on finishing the actual product.  The way we've structured the nightly automatic code builds are such that the Windows and Ipad platforms now just automatically build as well so they stay current with any code changes that may happen on any given day.   We haven't taken the time to add Android to that auto-nightly build process yet.  We will but I just don't know "when" we'll get to that.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 10:27pm
The last 10% of the work, takes the other 90% of the effort. Hopefully I'll get to help out, in a small way, in the Pilot program.

In any case, keep at it, we all await in anticipation. 

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 17 May 2013 at 10:29pm
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 4:37pm
is the iPad ifd540 simulator available ?
if not, do you know when?
Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 9:51am
The Ipad IFD540 simulator app is not available yet.   We intend to make it a downloadable app from the Apple store about the time of formal submission of the last certification artifact to the FAA.  
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 9:48pm
Will the emulator require an expensive subscription for charts?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 9:02am
We don't expect so but the details of this are still in motion with Jepp.  I think it'll be several weeks or more before that question gets nailed down.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 4:29pm
How awesome it would be if the IFD 540 worked this way too.....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic