Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

checklists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avatur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: checklists
    Posted: 08 May 2013 at 12:23pm
Have you incorporated a checlits page? I love this feature in the G530 and have put in all my checklists. I would miss them if not in the IFD540
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 1:14pm
Yup, checklists are in.  I use them everyday when I'm flying around with the IFD540s.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 10:31pm
Will the checklists be operationally/functionally similar to the G530?  I'm not familiar with the G530 so I'm wondering if reading about their checklist feature would give me an idea of what to expect.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 5:16pm
I'm sure Steve will give you a better answer, but in general, while the IFDx40s are pin-compatible with the 430W and 530W trays and will support all of the functionality of those units, the user interface is not intended to emulate Garmin's.  Instead, as I understand it the IFDs' user interface will be akin to the Entegra R9 user interface.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 6:28pm
Here is a snippet from the IFD540/440 Pilot Guide with respect to the checklist function.  Note that formatting is a little screwed up and pictures are missing but maybe this will help.  If you go to the R9 product section of the www.avidyne.com website, you should be able to find images of the R9 checklist and as noted, that is cosmetically very similar to the way it works on the IFD440/540.

Electronic Checklist

Up to 9 custom checklists can be created and stored in the IFD via the “Checklist” LSK of the UTIL tab, each with up 30 steps and each step can be up to 30 characters long.

Creating/Editing a Checklist

From the “Checklist” LSK, put the system into checklist edit mode by highlighting the “Edit” box in the top right corner of the page by either touching it, or using the bottom right IFD knob to highlight the box. The edit box will be displayed with a blue background when it is in edit mode.

The first step is to name the checklist. When the system is put into checklist edit mode, the cursor will jump down to the checklist directory list and highlight the next available line with a light blue wraparound cursor.  Touch the row in the directory list or push the bottom right IFD knob to generate a keypad for checklist naming.

When done naming the new checklist, press the “Enter” button on the keypad or push the right IFD knob.

Editing a Checklist

To then create the checklist content, select the checklist title from the directory list that is to be created.  If the “Edit” box is not already displayed with a blue background, first put the system back into checklist edit mode by touching the “Edit” box again or using the bottom right IFD knob to select it and then push the knob.  This will produce an empty grey checklist step item.

Touch or use the bottom right IFD knob to select the step to be created or edited and this will put a bright blue outline around the step.  Press the now highlighted row a 2nd time or push in the bottom right IFD knob to generate a keypad.  Type the desired text (Note: there is no ability to manually generate upper case characters) and then press the “Enter” button to accept.  This will generate another empty grey checklist step item below and repeat the process as required.  When done creating all the desired checklist steps, press the “Edit” button in the top right corner again to exit edit mode.

To edit an existing checklist, touch or use the bottom right IFD knob to select the “Edit” button putting the system in edit mode. This automatically creates a new step at the end of the checklist – if that’s what you want, then just start typing on the keyboard. If instead, an existing step is to be edited, then select the checklist step to be edited by touching it or using the outer ring of the IFD knob.  Touch the step a second time or push the IFD knob to generate a keyboard, press the CLR button (keyboard or bezel) as required to clear characters and then re-type as required.  To insert a missing/extra step, type the step as desired as the last step of an existing checklist and then twist the inner ring of the bottom right IFD knob to insert the step in the desired location.  When done with editing the existing checklist, touch/select the “Edit” button again to get out of edit mode.

Press the “CLR” button on the bezel to return to the checklist directory.

Selecting a Checklist

From the checklist directory, highlight the desired checklist by either touching it or using the bottom right IFD knob to highlight and then either touch the checklist title a 2nd time to select it or push in the IFD knob to select it.

The selected checklist will then be displayed with the checklist title along the top strip.

Using a Checklist

When first entering a checklist, the first step will be highlighted by a bright blue wrap-around highlight.  Either touching a highlighted step or pushing in the IFD knob will toggle that step to bright green and a green checkmark along the right edge indicating that checklist step has been accomplished.

Until all steps have been designated as accomplished, the bottom left edge of the checklist box will display “Checklist Not Completed”.  As soon as all steps have been designated as accomplished, that text strip along the bottom edge will change to “Checklist Complete”.

Completed Checklist

If a step has been inadvertently checked off as accomplished, it can be changed back to unaccomplished by selecting the step with touch or the bottom right IFD knob and then touching it a 2nd time to unselect it or push the IFD knob.   This will also toggle the “Checklist Complete” text back to “Checklist Not Completed”.

TIPS and Techniques

Backup Your Checklists                                        Avidyne highly recommends backing up and storing electronic checklists by downloading checklists onto USB fobs for a variety of reasons to include copying onto other IFDs, restoring post-service events, etc. Procedures are supplied later in this manual.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 11:25pm
Hmmm.  I can back up the checklist to a USB fob...

This sort of begs the question:  Is there a means to edit the checklist on my PC, with a giant display and a real touch-typist keyboard, and transfer it to the 540?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 7:56am
No, there is no off-board checklist editor capability at this time.  It's a candidate for future releases but it's a pretty low priority right now.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic