Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 540 Shipping to Dealers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 540 Shipping to Dealers
    Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 12:31pm
Do I understand right? 
Avidyne will be shipping IFD units to a dealer.
I'd rather it shipped to me and I can determine which dealer I'd want to use!
LJG
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 4:03pm
As I understand it, the pre-buy units will be shipped to the dealer of your choice.

I expect regular retail units will be available in a variety of ways.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 14 Sep 2013 at 4:12pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:41pm
Right, our standard practice is to use dealers to do the install.   Therefore, we expect to ship to the dealer of your choice.  As long as they are an Avidyne dealer (there are over 600 I believe), then anyone of those dealers will work and you can have the install done there.

We do not expect to be shipping the IFD540/440s to individual owners.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 6:14pm
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 6:24pm
I have yet to decide which dealer of 3 I will use when the time comes for installation .
I'd much have unit in hand and see which of the three can install the quickest along with the other work I'm planning to do at the time.
The one I perfer is on the field but with his military contracts it sometime's takes up to three week's for him just to say hello.

LJG
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 6:32pm
Understood.   I'll have Avidyne Sales reach out to you to work further details.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 10:18pm
Be careful what you ask for.

Normally when you buy avionics from a dealer and have that dealer install them the dealer makes a profit on the equipment.  This profit offsets the cost of installation.  Shops charge significantly more for installation if you provide the equipment.

My understanding is that Avidyne is going to give the dealer the profit they would have made if they had sold the IFD 540 or 440.  So your installation cost would be similar to what it would be if they provided the GPS.  If you carried it in yourself and they did not get the sales profit the installation cost would be higher.

There are several good avionics shops in my area which are Avidyne dealers.  I'm going to see what the installation prices are.  I am also planning to replace the audio panel at the same time because the old one has issues and I might as well do it while the stack is being rebuilt.  So I'll have Avidyne ship the GPS to the dealer that makes the best offer.

It would be nice if Avidyne were to offer a good discount on their panel and maybe their transponder to people who pre-ordered a GPS.  A stack with an AMX240, AXP340 and IFD540 interspersed with the KX155A and KAP140 would be real pretty (and very effective).  But I could always go with a PMA8000BT and wait a while before upgrading the transponder.
velox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 11:10pm
I am disappointed to hear my unit will not be shipped directly to me.
The reason I bought it was, it was supposed to be a direct plug in for the Garmin 530 that I have installed now.
I am an A&P and can easily install it and do the required paper work myself.
If I have to pay a dealer to install it I am out!

Edited by velox - 16 Sep 2013 at 11:11pm
Cascade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cascade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 10:14am
Velox, I don't know about you, but to me the $5,000 to $6,000 savings on the price of the unit (the pre-buy bargain) seems to outweigh the very minimal cost of having an avionics shop yank the old unit out of the tray and slide the new unit in.  Small potatoes in the scheme of things, am I wrong?  And wouldn't it be nice for your friends at the avionics shop to receive a check from Avidyne for the mark-up they otherwise missed on the sale?  What am I missing here?
Cascade
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Cascade Cascade wrote:

... but to me the $5,000 to $6,000 savings ...

Indeed.

* Orest

Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 2:24pm
Just a simple form to fill out from Avidyne, by the shop to Avidyne would surfice any of these requirements.
I'm sure being the first on the market (IFD540), the shop will need questions answered prior to installation!  I know I would!
LJG

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 2:56pm
There is another reason to have a dealer involved - the warranty requires a dealer's involvement.

Velox, I expect that if the install is one or two hours and Avidyne is sending money to the dealer, you'll be able to negotiate a really low installation price.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic