Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FMS/FPL page click reposition - feature question
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FMS/FPL page click reposition - feature question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FMS/FPL page click reposition - feature question
    Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 9:14am
In the FMS view, with the flight plan window moved to the side, you have a map representation of the flight plan. All good, here is the thought/question ...

1) Perhaps this is somehow available, but it hit on me that it would be a great feature to have the map window in that view, zoom in on a waypoint, when you click on it on the narrowed column flight plan list. This is like the "step" function in a real FMS.

So, for example you would click on the waypoint TALEB (red arrow), and have the map view shift to the right and up to find and center on the waypoint TALEB. Kind of like flicking the map view, but it will find and precisely center the waypoint in question.

2) As an aside, it seems the map scale is FIXED in this view, is that intended or a limit of the simulator?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 01 Apr 2014 at 2:06pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 9:23am
IIRC, you can only pinch zoom on the FMS page (limitation of the sim since you can't pinch zoom with a mouse), but you can pinch zoom or twist the knob on the MAP page.  I noticed this a few times on the demo wondering why I couldn't zoom on the FMS page since when you twist the knob it just scroll through the flight plan.

Edited by brou0040 - 01 Apr 2014 at 9:23am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 8:49am
In response to Orest, that sounds like a great idea and I'll make a new entry in our enhancement database for that feature.   As for the map scale on the FMS-FPL tab, as Brou0040 notes, you can change the map range via pinch zoom (and yes, there is a non-touch screen windows machine limitation there).

To follow that up and answer Brou's question, the bottom line is that comes down to the modal control nature of the bottom right IFD knob.   In the picture above, you see the knob label is Scroll/Select, meaning the twisting action of the knob (inner or outer) scrolls through that flight plan list and the push action of that knob selects a highlighted field in that flight plan list.

If, however, the map page was displayed, then the knob control becomes a map range and view control.  So, the modal knob control is context sensitive and at least on the flight plan list, we felt it was more important to control the list instead of the map via the right knob.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 8:59am
Thanks Steve!

* Orest

MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 7:20pm
I haven't downloaded the sim since the initial problems with download performance, so maybe this is a dumb question but: does the mouse scroll wheel do anything in the sim?  If not, perhaps it could be used to simulate the pinch to zoom in/out in a future sim update?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 7:34pm
Mike,

No, the mouse scroll wheel does not do anything in the PC sim.   It's a good idea and we'll look into it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

In response to Orest, that sounds like a great idea and I'll make a new entry in our enhancement database for that feature.   As for the map scale on the FMS-FPL tab, as Brou0040 notes, you can change the map range via pinch zoom (and yes, there is a non-touch screen windows machine limitation there).

To follow that up and answer Brou's question, the bottom line is that comes down to the modal control nature of the bottom right IFD knob.   In the picture above, you see the knob label is Scroll/Select, meaning the twisting action of the knob (inner or outer) scrolls through that flight plan list and the push action of that knob selects a highlighted field in that flight plan list.

If, however, the map page was displayed, then the knob control becomes a map range and view control.  So, the modal knob control is context sensitive and at least on the flight plan list, we felt it was more important to control the list instead of the map via the right knob.

Right now you can turn the outer knob, turn the inner knob, or press the button for either the frequency knob or the scroll/select knob.  Is there any hardware limitation that would prevent you from adding a forth input that would be pressing and turning the inner knob at the same time?

I was trying to figure out how to select a #2 or #3 standby to load a frequency into from the frequency page until I saw the limitation on page 1-26 of the pilot guide.

It seems that by adding a push/twist action, you could add standby scrolling and zoom capability on the FMS page.  That may also be "safer" since if you accidentally twist the knob when wanting to press or press the button when wanting to twist due to turbulence, it would seem like zooming or scrolling the standby frequencies would be a less significant error.

Also, would it be possible to add a north up 240 degree arc view?  I definitely like to see more ahead of me so I prefer the 240 view to the 260 view, but it's nice having both options.

Edited by brou0040 - 15 Nov 2014 at 11:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic