Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

STC'd for Piper Autocontrol III?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STC'd for Piper Autocontrol III?
    Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 5:48pm
With the (well-deserved) celebrations that are no doubt going on right now at the Avidyne world headquarters, and with the prep for Oshkosh, I doubt there will be time to answer my question, but hope springs eternal...

I am on the pre-buy list for an IFD540.  Started talking to a local avionic shop about the panel work that's going to go along with it, and he said, "Hold up...I'm not sure the IFD540 is STC'd for your autopilot."

I have a Piper Cherokee with a Piper Autocontrol III autopilot.  My GNS430W is currently coupled to it.

Now that installation manuals are available, I can see that there's no explicit listing in Table 55 or section 6.13 for the Piper Autocontrol in the list of compatible autopilots.  However, the Autocontrol III is essentially just a re-badged Century II, which *is* STC'd.

Am I outta luck here, or is there a path through the paperwork for me?

Edited by MysticCobra - 24 Jul 2014 at 5:53pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 7:22pm
You should be fine.

There is a meaningful distinction between proven compatibility and being "STC'd for your autopilot".  There isn't any notion that I'm aware of that couples a given navigator with a given autopilot, at least not in the IFD540 class of navigators.  Our Installation Manual just provides a list of devices that we proved compatibility with ourselves.   I'm not familiar with the Piper Autocontrol III but if the expected input/output matches that of the Century II, then you are good to go.

The IFD540 STC does not limit installation to only a selected set of autopilots.  And, typically, autopilot STCs do not mandate a specific navigator.

If you had a 430W driving the autopilot, then an IFD540 will do just fine too.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 7:23pm
That's good to hear.  Thanks for taking time out of your busy celebration to answer! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic