Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Jepp Pricing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Jepp Pricing
    Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 10:24pm
Here is a link to the top level Jepp description of their new pricing with the IFD540:

You will have to follow more links in there to keep drilling down but I believe everybody who keeps a Jepp subscription should find this to be a meaningful price reduction when compared to previous subscription costs.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 10:41pm
Actually it is more than double what I currently pay for my current subscription, but that's for a KLN-89B.

It also says it includes "Regional Paper Enroute charts".  Really?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 10:44pm
I guess I should have qualified the price reduction as applying to the plug and play folks.  Others may but I don't know those details.

As for the paper enroute charts, let me check (but I think that's correct in that there is no electronic version of IFR Low/High routes in the IFD540 - just the airway depictions)
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:55am
Given the current state of play, I'd like to see a Jepp bundle which serves the 540s and Aspens.
David Gates
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 5:50pm
Given that I have charts already on Foreflight/Ipad, is there any reason to show charts on the 540?
PH
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:34pm
The charts on the 540 are georeferenced which is nice, and once you land the chart swaps to the airport diagram which is nice. On my dual setup, I have the top box on the map view and the bottom box on the appropriate chart. It is a nice addition.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:38pm
so do I have this right?  its going to cost me $994 to feed my IFD540 for a year?
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:57pm
Looks like $662 for the basic VFR nav set if you get your approach charts on Foreflight.

PH
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 6:17am
$994?
$662?
Jeppesen did not make this very clear.  Either way, I do not like those figures.  I have been paying $330 for East/Central USA NavData on the 430.  One thing I can say is if it will be about 1 thousand annually to keep the box current, the box will not get a subscription.  This is a deal breaker for me.  At that price I will have a new IFD440 for sale.
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 6:47am
Originally posted by FORANE FORANE wrote:

$994?
$662?
Jeppesen did not make this very clear.  Either way, I do not like those figures.  I have been paying $330 for East/Central USA NavData on the 430.  One thing I can say is if it will be about 1 thousand annually to keep the box current, the box will not get a subscription.  This is a deal breaker for me.  At that price I will have a new IFD440 for sale.

You're lucky - in EU land they want €1783 per year. I think I might be cancelling too
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 8:34am
Forane, are you comparing full US for the IFD versus East/Central for the 430?  If so, I think you'll find you can get East/Central for the IFD.
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 8:38am
All I want is a database to fly IFR en-route and approaches in the US (no charts).   Right now I pay Bendix-King $410 a year for this sort of navdata (coverage includes US, Canada, Latin America), however the GPS is not WAAS.  I could see maybe paying a little extra for LPV approaches, etc.   I don't cross the continent very often (about every two years) so I guess I could settle for less routine coverage, though I wonder about the economics of one-time updates for expanded coverage.

I made an account with Jepp to see the pricing and it looks reasonable - I assume this is for a year of data

Edited by Royski - 01 Aug 2014 at 8:41am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 8:47am
Do you have a link, I don't get the 540 popping up in the list of equipment.

* Orest

FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

Forane, are you comparing full US for the IFD versus East/Central for the 430?  If so, I think you'll find you can get East/Central for the IFD.

I do have a jepp account and could not find the pricing options below, but yes, that is much better.
Originally posted by Royski Royski wrote:

I made an account with Jepp to see the pricing and it looks reasonable - I assume this is for a year of data

Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 9:49am
I can't link directly but I get an option for the 540 at the link below when logged in
https://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/store/avionics/AvionicsWizardSelection.action
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 10:53am
Then give me a day or four to get Jepp to straighten this out.  The new bundled prices are *much* lower than they used to be. 
You should be getting Jepp data at the price of government data.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 11:31am
I used my existing account for the 530W to add the 540.  The Americas Navdata price is essentially the same as I've been paying.

Chart pricing is weird:  Living in Chicago, it would be nice to have WI, IL, IN, MI.  I have to buy 3 sets to accomplish that, which effectively doubles my total cost.  I suppose having 2 Class Bs in the area is a factor.  ORD alone has 46 approaches.
PH
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 6:10pm
Steve, will Avidyne make the ICD for the database public so other companies like Seattle Avionics can compete with jepp? 
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 9:02am
Steve,

I would like to make sure my understanding of the nav data vs. the chart subscriptions.  If I buy just the nav data, I can fly all the airways, instrument approached, STARS, SID, etc. on the IFD's moving map, I just can see a copy of Jepp's chart on the screen.  If I also buy the chart subscription, then I get to see the chart on the screen.  Is this correct? 

David
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 10:07am
The IFD540 Jepp Navdata only prices for Europe (excl charts) are 11% more expensive than for the Garmin 430W/530W and have less coverage.

I have a Jepp 430W subscription for Central Europe and it includes all EU countries as well as all of Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, and part of North Africa for €310/yr excl VAT compared to the Avidyne IFD540 Central Europe subscription price of €344/yr excl VAT but the coverage does not include all EU countries (e.g. not Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Baltic States) or Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, or Finland) or N. Africa.

To get the same coverage with the IFD540 that I have today with the GNS430W, I need to order International (i.e. world excluding the Americas) at a price of €433 excl VAT or a 40% increase.

Regarding charts, I didn't order the IFD540 to get the charts because the Jepp Europe pricing is simply not an affordable option. I've even discontinued my Jepp paper/ipad IFR chart subscription because reasonable national AIP charts are available in pdf format at a more economic price, even if they aren't geo-referenced. Geo-referenced aerodrome charts are available for the ipad via VFR products.

Vince
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 4:33pm
I just got off the phone with Jepp.  The Nav Data, as I understand it, supplies all the airways and approaches to fly.  This means you can enter a flight plan and also select the approach at the destination.  If you also want to have a copy of the approach plate in the 540, I believe that will be a separate subscription.
I presently have the Americas for my dual 430s and the Eastern US for approach plates.  I am now paying about $1300 and was told the same subscription for 2 540s will cost $1144

Larry
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 4:57pm
I just went on the Jepp site, and for 1 IFD-540, the NAVDATA subscription for FULL US is $465.  For the CHART subscription for FULL US, it is an additional $940.

What is the CHART subscription?  Is that just the approach plates?  I know the 540 will show the plates, but does it show Sectional and Low Enroute charts?  I don't want sectionals or enroute charts on the 540, and I don't even think it is set up to display them.  The Jepp site said something about displaying charts on my MFD.  So, does this assume I have a separate MFD? I would like the approach plates on the box, but not for $940/yr!

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 5:02pm
If by some miracle the $465 NAVDATA includes the approach charts for the IFD-540, then I'll be pretty impressed.  I've decided to be optimistic and assume that the plates are included with the NAVDATA, and that the CHARTS subscription is for some other MFD which I don't have.  

I'm sure someone will burst my bubble on this...
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 8:02pm
If you're using the 540 simulator, on the MAP page there are 2 sub pages, one called Map and the other, Charts.  it's my understanding that the Map sub page will show what you normally see when running approaches on the Garmin 530:  i.e. approach waypoints.  The Charts page shows the actual chart as it appears on paper and is geo-referenced, showing your progress on the chart.  That's the extra Jepp charge, I think.  You can get the same thing from Foreflight on an Ipad for about $140 a year.

The 540 navdata does add approach altitude info, a nice improvement over the G530.
PH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic