Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New installs (not 530 swaps) - updates wanted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philcook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New installs (not 530 swaps) - updates wanted
    Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 2:10pm
Now that month 1 units have been shipped and are hopefully being installed, I am (and I'm sure others are) hoping to hear from others who are doing fresh installs of 540s - where no GPS previously existed and where outdated equipment is being replaced/removed (you people with 530 swaps have it easy). I've put out an RFQ to numerous shops for my install but some questions have come up about the need for an annunciator panel, the indicator to use, autopilot interfacing, and others. Along with the IFD540 I'm also putting in an AMX240 audio panel and an AXP340 transponder. All this will also make me 2020 compliant.
I'm looking to hear about the experiences from others going through a fresh install as I'm about to, or advice about what I'm planning. This is the first time I've ever spent this much money on an avionics upgrade so any feedback is greatly appreciated. 
Anxiously awaiting my fourth-month delivery window.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 8:19pm
We'll see if anybody pipes up but the majority of installs so far have been plug & play installs.   There have been some clean installs and from our perspective, they went well but I'm sure you're looking for end-user feedback on the process.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 8:53pm
From a clean sheet perspective, above and beyond a 530/340/330 installation the shops are most familiar with, I would recommend specifically discussing the following items:

1) 540 audio to the audio panel (TAWS audio line on the 530)
2) Transponder audio to the audio panel (not done with the 330txp)
3) Yoke mounted switches for Com swap (audio panel), Ident (transponder), and frequency swap (IFD540
4) Ensure they wire the IFD540 to the Audio panel to take advantage of standby channel monitoring (when available in the IFD software)
5) If you have a bottom and top antenna, you may discuss which one will work best for your #1 vs #2 nav box.  On my Bonanza, I put #1 (air to air) on the bottom antenna and #2 (ground to ground) on the top antenna
6) Remind them the 540 has the same WAAS placement as the 530 and required annunciators.  I've seen a number of installs of 430w/530w boxes that required annunciators but did not have them installed (mine included)
7) You may consider buying a NAV indicator that will handle both GPS and VLOC if you aren't using an HSI or PFD of some type

Those are the ones off the top of my head.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 5:56pm
I went from 430W to 540.  Not exactly plug and play, but it wasn't a 100% clean install either.
The circuit breakers needed to be changed from what my 430W had, but I was prepped for it after reading the install manual.  In fact I installed all new CB's on my avionics bus.  I wired a COM swap switch to my yoke. I also installed a PSEngineering PMA450 and wired up the standby pins to it to do future standby monitoring.

Flew it 700nm yesterday from the avionics shop home.  I do need to get the photocells calibrated between my 430W and the 540 as the 430W was way too bright compared to the 540 when in the pitch black night.  I tried using manual adjustments on the 540, but the increments seemed too coarse so I found the 430W and adjusted it down to match the 540 brightness.

I just realized I can't attach photos to the forums.  I'll get them somewhere on the Internet and post a URL.

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 6:15pm
Doing the same thing.  430W -->540, plus a clean sheet 540 as nav/comm2.

I am also putting in a PMA540.  Is the pinout for the standby monitoring in the install manual?

Pix will be appreciated.  Thanks.
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 6:38pm
To set the dimming on the 430W, press the enter key and turn on the unit.  This will put it in maintenance mode.  Scroll with the big knob until you get to the lighting page.  From there it is pretty self explanatory.  The instructions are in the 430W install manual if you get stuck.  You can find it on the Internet.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Doing the same thing.  430W -->540, plus a clean sheet 540 as nav/comm2.

I am also putting in a PMA540.  Is the pinout for the standby monitoring in the install manual?

Pix will be appreciated.  Thanks.

As for the standby monitoring I had it mapped to the ADF input on the pma450 as you can rename any of the three alternate inputs to MON1 and MON2 on the LCD which is nice. As for the pins on the 540 I took the data from the thread in the forums, I got Steve to confirm them, as they are labeled "reserved" in the install manual. The APX240 install manual was a good third reference on how to wire it up.

Their 3D audio is really nice, but did have a moment of total confusion when I first used the feature flying home yesterday. My left and right audio has always been wired up backwards in my plane. Note CB changes are needed for pma450 too from the gma340.

Pix coming, maybe tonight.

Edited by roltman - 20 Sep 2014 at 7:57pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 9:51pm
Thanks, and best.

David
David Gates
jimelliott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimelliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 10:20pm
Got the long anticipated email that my equipment has been shipped.  YEA!!  I'm getting the full stack.  240, 340, 540 along with the TAS 605A and a Garmin GNC255A as my Nav/Com2.  Replacing a 430 and Collins audio, nav/com and transponder so this will all be a clean install.  Which is planned to begin 10 days 
from now.

Beyond the good information on installs posted above by Gring and others, is there anything else I need to specify and discuss with my installer?  

I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Can't wait to get it in the air.

Jim
Jim Elliott
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 1:22am
There are a lot of things to cover with an install.
Gring has it pretty well delineated; my shop picked up things I would not have expected.
Example: next software revision will supposedly allow standby frequency monitoring - <but it has to be wired - thanks to Gring mine is>
Comm panel freq swap switches
Comm panel source switches
TXP ident
TAS605 mute (my shop had to be educated because other traffic systems do not permit mute)

You want every option wired in my opinion whether you choose to use it or not.

I'm glad I wired all the bells and whistles, may not use them all.

Gring has it well outlined in his install posts.

Good luck.
David Gates
roy32jm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy32jm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 8:58pm
Well I guess three weeks from now I will be able to offer meaningful feedback. Delivered my V35B to the avionics shop this morning. What started out as a plug and play swap has grown a bit. Original plan was to swap out my 530 for a 540. We are now removing the old King DG and indicator and installing a G500 with synthetic vision. Took advantage if the free transponder and bought a second 540. Since I was doing all that it seemed silly to leave the old audio panel so that is being swapped as well. I guess this is no longer a plug and play swap.
be on time, do what you say, finish what you start, say please and thank you
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 10:06am
Wow, your project did grow.

Question for the Avi-team:

In dual IFD installs - how are peripheral devices handled, e.g.
1. I have dual 540s. I have TAS 605. Traffic shows up on IFD #2, but not IFD #1 - and traffic option for datablock selection is grayed out on IFD #1.

2. Right now, my JPI 700 is not showing up on either of my IFDs. Probably a configuration problem, have contacted shop. Question, do the IFDs data share fuel flow between units, or how does that work?

These are probably stupid questions (coming from me), but I am sure they will come up again.

Maybe will help you too, roy32jm, since you're doing dual IFDs.

Thanks
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 10:29am
To me, that sounds like a faulty installation.

* Orest

edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 11:49am
David,  I have a JPI-700 with fuel flow option and it is tied into my IFD540 via RS-232.

The RS-232 aviation data out from the IFD540 is wired to the JPI-700.

The JPI-700 has a reply RS-232 path to update the IFD540 with fuel flow , fuel used etc.

Mine works fine

Ed

Ed
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 12:00pm
Ed:

Is there some configuration? And secondly, does the dual IFD install cross feed that data between units?
David Gates
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 12:30pm
Yes,  The RS-232 must be configured in the IFD540

Not sure on the cross feed as I have only 1 IFD540 but it is possible for two RS-232 receivers to  connect to a single RS-232 Tx if there is no handshaking (In this case there is not)

Ed

Ed
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 8:20pm
Yes, those are all configuration-induced problems.  David, if you send me your datalogs, I can quickly tell exactly how your IFDs are set up for the data inputs.

Ed is correct on the settings.   The IFD540 Installation Manual spells this out pretty well.

As for sharing data between IFDs for dual IFD installations, yes, that should work fine.   In many installations, a given device is only wired to one IFD and then the data is shared with the other IFD via the RS-232 Channel 3 when set to "CrossSync".   There is one asterisk with that sharing - 429 data is not shared over the RS-232 connection so for example, if one IFD is wired to an ARINC-429 traffic sensor, the other IFD does not get traffic data unless it also has a direct ARINC-429 connection to that traffic sensor.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 10:05pm
Thanks Steve.

I am assuming the TAS605A input is RS232, and not ARINC 429? I have no doubt the JPI700 is as well.

I am in LEX tonight, back to TUS tomorrow. I'll drag out the manual and figure out how to harvest a datalog.

Thanks.

BTW - Steve - limited experience so far and I know corrections needed - but seems like great products.

DMG

Edited by ddgates - 11 Nov 2014 at 10:05pm
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 10:17pm
David, the TAS can be wired for either ARINC 429 or RS232. From memory, the RS232 gives you additional information such as N-number or sqwak code but is limited to 9 targets. ARINC 429 does not have the additional info, but can display 30 targets.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

David, the TAS can be wired for either ARINC 429 or RS232. From memory, the RS232 gives you additional information such as N-number or sqwak code but is limited to 9 targets. ARINC 429 does not have the additional info, but can display 30 targets.

An interesting tid-bit. That is in the install manual somewhere, I presume?

I wonder if that will change, once the "A" version is available? IOW, when ADS-B TIS-B data is available, vice straight Mode S.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 12 Nov 2014 at 8:51am
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 9:29am
ARINC429 info is page 16 of the install manual

RS232 info is page 25 of the install manual
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

... From memory, the RS232 gives you additional information such as N-number or sqwak code but is limited to 9 targets ...

Spoke to my shop, they used RS232 as that was noted as the preferred bus for the TAS605 install. They are not aware of a limit on targets, for that bus, but are looking again.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic