Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 + MLB700 + MLB100

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 + MLB700 + MLB100
    Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 4:33pm
Can/will the IFD540 work with a MLB700 and a MLB100 at the same time?

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 4:53pm
When I asked the question I was told that at least through 10.1.0.0 software release we would be able to choose either subscription weather products (MLB700) or ADS-b weather products (MLB100).  There was not a provision to select products from different sources and display them on the IFD540 at the same time.

I asked this question specifically because I have the lowest level weather subscription on my MLB700 and really would like the winds aloft product, but don't really want to pay $20/mth more for just the single product that "is nice to have" whereas ADS-B will provide the winds aloft product.  I'm not ready to jump to ADS-B only weather yet and prefer the subscription NEXRAD service.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 5:07pm
I was thinking the same thing, so was curious how it'd work. I'm about to buy a 2nd IFD540 and would think one could have SIRIUS and the other ADS-B.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 9:28pm
The way this will work is:

Only one datalink type can display on an IFD.  The priority is GDL69, MLB700, MLB100, cross-side unit source.

Dual IFD technique:

Wire one datalink box to one IFD and the other one to the other IFD.  Then each IFD will display their own datalink source.

Single IFD technique:

Wire both datalink boxes to the IFD.  The higher priority one will display on the IFD and the lower priority one will be streamed out of the IFD via WiFi for display on your tablet app.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 10:13pm
Does ADS-B traffic fit into this equation in the same way?  I still want to use the MLB700  weather but was hoping to use the MLB100 to display traffic on my 540s.  It sounds like that won't be possible?
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 8:51am
teeth6 - That was my follow on question as well.  I'm dumping my GNX330 for the APX340; however, I like my TIS traffic on my 330, and was leaning towards a MLB100 to replace it, but I like the SIRIUS/XM Wx over the ADS-B.
While a TAS605 would be great I think that'll push my wife a little too far this year.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 5:23pm
Steve, do you know if the ADS-B traffic from the MLB100 will still display if the MLB700 Wx is being displayed on the same unit or does the aforementioned priority bump all the MLB100 features?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 5:26pm
Yes, you can do that without a problem.     The weather part of ADS-B comes in as serial data and the traffic part comes in as ARINC429 data.  The IFD540 treats those as different channels so in your example, you can take in traffic from ADS-B MLB100 and weather from the MLB700 Sirius datalink receiver.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 5:28pm
roltman,  It appears you will be able to continue with Sirius Wx on the 540s and still show ADS-B traffic as well because the traffic is different from the weather.  I received this reply concerning my question from Avidyne.

One of the important points is that ADS-B weather comes across in one protocol (serial) and ADS-B traffic comes across in a different protocol (ARINC429).  So those are different channels in IFD540-speak.  
That means, you can put Sirius weather on both IFDs and put MLB100 (ADS-B) traffic on both displays as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic