Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SIL 606-00182-010 Released

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SIL 606-00182-010 Released
    Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 10:44am
New Service Information Letter (SIL) 606-00182-010 was just posted today for the IFD540.

It covers a condition in some IFDs that exhibit low VHF transmit power and potentially some VHF low reception behavior.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:11pm
In the units reporting this problem, has it been intermittent or continuous?  My IFD has one of these earlier serial numbers but so far the radio performance has been very good - just wondering if this something I need to watch out for in the future.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:55pm
While I appreciate Avidyne being forthright with this information, I find this more than a little troubling.

To paraphrase...

There might be a problem with your radio.  If you think you have a problem, then send it in.

Really?  I doubt I'll have sufficient air time with the IFD-540 to determine if I have this problem for some months to come.  But now I'll be worried every time I fly, especially if I'm in the clouds.

Some questions that come to mind:

1. Is there any sort of definitive field test that can be accomplished to determine that the unit is okay?  Either an in-air test protocol or a bench test that the avionics shop could do?
2. Is the VOR-LOC receiver affected?
3. Is this all or nothing, or is there some gray area? -- in other words, can the unit be a little bit out of calibration, or is it either IN or OUT?  Because I'd like my unit to be dialed in all the way.  I don't want to think that mine is sorta close and working just well enough that I probably don't need to send it in.
4. If someone just wanted to be sure, would Avidyne agree to recalibrate their unit to factory specs using the new procedure at NO CHARGE to the customer? (no charge for shipping, either)??

I can pull my unit today and send it in.  I'm down for the next couple of weeks until my A&P/IA can get to my annual.

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:58pm

My 540 arrived at my shop, but my install was delayed due to my transponder order being mishandled (identified and being addressed).  I'm pretty sure the 540 would be prior to 15 Dec.  I'd hate to wait to install the unit to find this issue.  Is there any way to ground test this prior to installation?  Could it be sent back to Avidyne to verify calibration?

I don't want to install it just to have to remove and send it back while it's sitting on the ground doing nothing for the next few weeks.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 1:05pm
Reference pburger's questions:

1. No.
2. No.
3. All or nothing.
4. Yes.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 2:54pm
Reference brou0040 questions:

No real way to test this at the installers shop - requires a flight to see if it happens (BTW, less than 5% of all shipped units appear to manifest the issue based on quantitative stats.)

If the unit comes back to the factory, we can tell in a matter of a few minutes if it needs a re-cal.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 3:53pm

For planning, I just talked to support and they said 2 - 5 days to turn it around once it gets in house.

2days if just this, up to 5days if I get the Mod applied.  Not sure if they'll do software updates too when doing this?

Edited by roltman - 12 Jan 2015 at 3:53pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 3:55pm
Software updates depend on timing.  Rel 10.0.3.0 is in final software test for credit this week but could be another 3 weeks before the TSO is issued.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:37am
Steve, "shipping it back" means to the Lincoln, MA facility, right?  Just making sure, since I plan to have some work done to my plane near Melbourne in Feb, and could easily pull the IFD540 and bring it into that site for inspection, if they have the gear there to check it out.

Edited by MysticCobra - 13 Jan 2015 at 7:37am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:39am
No, our factory and service center are in the Melbourne FL location.    You should pre-coordinate with the Service Center (888-723-7592, 781-402-7592 or techsupport@avidyne.com)
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 10:15am
Many thanks!
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 5:37pm
My installer is going to swap my 540 for another 530W and test fly my unit next week.  That way we won't have to send it back unnecessarily.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic