Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aeroplan???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aeroplan???
    Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 12:04pm

I registered my new, yet-to-be-installed, IFD540 on MyAvidyne in an attempt to determine its hardware mod status.

On the first screen after the account was registered, I was surprised with a very large type offer to enroll in Aeroplan. There was a vague mention of an indemnification statement and large ACCEPT or DECLINE pushbuttons. Under the DECLINE button there was some fine print saying that I had 30 days after initial registration to enroll in Aeroplan.

I didn't know what I was getting myself into and didn't have time to deal with it, so I neither accepted nor declined and simply logged off.

Now when I log back in to MyAvidyne I can find no mention of Aeroplan. A search of the Avidyne site turns up only a description of Aeroplan for the R9 Integra, nothing for the IFD540. The R9 page contains the indemnification language which, on first glance, seems to be something that would get me banished from my insurance company if I even thought about signing it.

A search of this forum found a blizzard of discussions, mostly pertaining to the pre-buy folks, and a statement from Steve over a year ago that said that there was no indemnification with Aeroplan.

I don't want to stir up another hornet's nest, but I have to ask - what's the deal? Where's the IFD540 Aeroplan sign-up page? Does it have the indemnification clause? Is it as draconian and one-sided as was originally alleged? Does anyone who has enough assets to actually afford an airplane sign it? Have the lawyers finally taken over the universe?

Another question: When does the warranty start? My IFD540 was delivered in December, but we've been waiting on parts, some from Avidyne, and the installation is not going very quickly. We'll be lucky to get it flying by the end of March. Will the factory warranty start when I actually start using the IFD540, or is it uselessly ticking away this very minute while the radio sits in a box?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or wisdom.

Mike

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 2:34pm
Mike
I'm sure you can get a copy of the Aeroplan if you send an email to Jared Butson. Once you have a copy you can have your insurance company or an aviation attorney look it over. For the warranty, I was told it is based on the date it was shipped to the installer as Abidyne has no way of knowing the exact date all these units are being installed
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 3:19pm

Who is Jared Butson and how do I reach him?

If the indemnification is anything like the R9 language, I suspect that I know what any attorney or insurance company will say. My lawyer will hate it. The insurance folks might love it, because it seems to transfer the liability from them to me.

On the warranty start date, it would be pretty easy for the install shop to give Avidyne an in-service date, and have the warranty start then. Dell Computers does that. My warranty didn't start until the day I started using my new computer.

Mike

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 3:23pm
Let's not wrap ourselves around the axle on this one - again.     This is a Sales Op so I'm going to let the sales guys respond to this post directly or contact interested folks directly.    Please don't make any assumptions on this - they will very likely be wrong.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 3:40pm

I understand. I really don't want to get wrapped around the axle on anything. I'd just like the current IFD540 Aeroplan agreement. Where can I find it?

Thanks

Mike

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Let's not wrap ourselves around the axle on this one - again.     This is a Sales Op so I'm going to let the sales guys respond to this post directly or contact interested folks directly.    Please don't make any assumptions on this - they will very likely be wrong.

If it's really that difficult to understand, I'd highly recommend that Sales post a definitive post here to prevent further confusion.
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 6:57pm

FWIW: I contacted the Avidyne Sales Department today to ask about AeroPlan. They quickly transferred me over to Tech Support. The Tech Support guy was knowledgeable about it and helped me find the AeroPlan documents under MyAvidyne.com.

Tech Support also told me that my shop would submit an installation date to Avidyne , which would be used for the warranty start date.  That would be very helpful.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic