Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TIS-A Support from GTX-330

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TIS-A Support from GTX-330
    Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:06am
AviJake

I've been told there is no planned support for TIS-A Traffic from *armin GTX-330 Mode S Transponders on the IFD540/440 units.

For many operators, TIS-A is the only source of traffic in the aircraft. I understand with ADS-B on the horizon the thought is to save money and leave it out of the IFD units because nobody uses it. 

I'm just curious as to how many other IFD540 owners are wishing and hoping for TIS-A support on their IFD's? 

How difficult is it to add this format to the IFD series considering its available on the EX-500/600 MFD's? Given the cost, might Avidyne consider doing a paid ennoblement option?

Until folks start pouring money into installed ADS-B In systems that will be approved and linked to the IFD, we will have to rely on portable ADS-B receivers and iPads for traffic. Not everyone will do this and the loss of convenience of panel mounted traffic display I feel is huge. 

Thoughts?
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 12:06pm
I think your source is incorrect.

The IFD540 works with TIS-A from the GTX-330, just be sure to set it as a "GTX330 w/ Traffic" in maintenance mode as there is a "GTX330" setting which won't display traffic. 
This has all been there since the 540s started shipping.

I flew with the traffic from the 330 for several months before I switch to a 340 XPNDR and am quietly awaiting the ADS-B arrival.

Edited by roltman - 12 Mar 2015 at 12:06pm
ThreeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 2:39pm
I had asked Steve Jacobson this back on December 22, 2014 and he stated:

•    We do not, nor plan to, display TIS traffic data on the IFD540.  We made a decision 2 years ago, based on the FAA roadmap to shut down TIS, to not spend the time supporting it.  I don't see that changing at this point.
I wonder if things changed and I missed it.

I'll check the setting for GTX-330 w/Traffic and make sure it was set to that.

Thanks
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 2:55pm
Ok, I dunno in what context if he made that statement, i.e. it was w.r.t. TIS traffic symbols or another protocol, but I believe the A429 output on the GTX-330 is using a standard traffic protocol and simply enabling "GTX-330w/traffic" should do it. It worked just fine back in Sept 2014 for me.

For what it's worth my shop originally missed that setting and had it on "GTX330" which will not display traffic.
ThreeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 3:17pm
We checked the setting and it was set to just Garmin GTX-330. That must have been the problem. I know Garmin does not have the GTX-330 w/Traffic setting so looks like we did the same thing your shop did, copy the GNS-530W settings. RTFM again time. Thanks..
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 6:12pm
Right and to clarify, we don't support the display of TIS tails.   TIS supplied data looks like TAS traffic data on the IFD displays.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic