Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FLTA Alert when landing at MMLT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FLTA Alert when landing at MMLT
    Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 7:38pm
Hi all,

I recently flew to Mexico landing twice at MMLT (Loreto).  Both times I received a FLTA audio alert and various messages.  After rereading the manual I don't think this should have happened as the airport was in my database (I got an Americas trip kit from our friends at Jepp.)  Any ideas? Is there a separate database that I should have gotten non US data for?  I am certain that I has non US terrain data being displayed.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 8:48pm
Should have been fine. I'll try it in the lab. What runway/approach did you use?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
fritz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 8:55pm
VFR approach to 16.  Sergio has my logs that include these flights if that is helpful. The flights took place on Feb 26 and 27th.

Thanks!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 12:11pm
Thanks for the logs.   Based on our log analysis, we found the reason for this issue.

The IFD540 FLTA algorithm did not recognize MMLT as an airfield and therefore did not create the standard airfield exclusion area which suppresses FLTA calls in the terminal environment.

Now the reason the IFD540 FLTA did not recognize it as an airfield is due to a situation that we just recently found.   MMLT has some special fuel types associated with it in the database - it has 100/130 and JetA1 fuel, both non standard fuel encodings in the Jepp data.    Data logs also indicate you changed the map fuel filtering setting from the default fuel filter (any fuel) to 100LL.  That is a perfectly plausible thing to do operationally but inadvertently filtered out that airfield as an airfield and therefore the FLTA algorithm was projecting an imminent impact with the ground and issued the warning. 

We are making a software change that provides more flexible fuel preference filtering so that this isn't an issue anymore.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
fritz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 12:47pm
Very interesting, thanks for the update.  I fly into airports in the US with no fuel available.  If 100LL is selected should I expect the same warning?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 12:50pm
If you select 100LL when none is actually available according to the Jepp database, then yes, this will continue to happen until Release 10.1.0.0 that should come out in the next month or so.   We made a change that should prevent inadvertent filtering out of airports in the FLTA algorithm based on fuel type selected.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic