Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LPV requirements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LPV requirements
    Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:43am
I'm enjoying using my well-designed IFD 540. Thank you Avidyne.

I recently found references on the web, most leading to Duncan Aviation, claiming that dual WASS GPS certified installation is required for LPV approaches. Is this an FAA requirement or simply somebody's recommendation?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:51am
Originally posted by compasst compasst wrote:

I recently found references on the web, most leading to Duncan Aviation, claiming that dual WASS GPS certified installation is required for LPV approaches

Definitely FALSE.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 May 2015 at 10:52am
bneub111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 1:34pm
My single 540 install will do LPV.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 3:59pm
you probably will need a dual solution for an RNP approach, not a RNAV (GPS) approach.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:56pm
I don't think that an IFD540 could provide you with legal guidance for an RNP approach, no matter how many you have.

* Orest

mkellock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkellock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 7:42pm
Well, I've now spent the last hour learning about RNP... ;-)
Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 8:35pm
RNP was created because of a "me too" interest of the air carriers, to fly all the cool new GPS approaches that started appearing in the late 90's. 

They didn't have GPS on board, for the most part, but did have RNav capability. So required navigation performance (RNP) was created. In this construct, as long as you could locate yourself to sufficient accuracy, no matter how, you could fly the approach.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 May 2015 at 8:36pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 8:39pm

RNP- required navigation performance.  Its get a bit complicated but you need a multi-sensor FMS that has an architecture where you can show mathematically that you the availability of a Nav accuracy.  If you look in DO-236, it gives you the math.  There are not many RNP approaches but its part of next gen and time nav. 

Large congested airports will benefit from RNP in the future. 

Edited by tony - 18 May 2015 at 8:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic