Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top of Descent Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top of Descent Question
    Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 12:11am
I haven't been seeing the TOD marker or hearing the chime on recent flights.  I believe it's because the 540 doesn't assume the last airport in the flight plan (no instrument approach) is a destination, meaning will have an altitude constraint of the airport elevation, therefore I don't meet the TOD requirement of a down-path waypoint with an altitude constraint below me.

Is this correct?

If so, I think it would be nice to default the last airport in the flight plan to be a destination with an altitude constraint of the airport elevation (or a user setting to say xxx feet above airport elevation since I like to get to the airport 1000 ft above at pattern altitude).  The default destination altitude constraint would be overridden if the user specifies an altitude or an approach is selected.

I think the work around is to set the altitude constraint to zero and it will come back with come back with some low altitude that is probably close enough.  AviJake, do you know the calculation it spits back?  I can't find an obvious answer.

Thanks,
Jayson
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 12:31am
Another option (feature request) would be to add a new approach to every airport: "Visual"

That way you could plan an approach and the IFD could plan you to be at pattern altitude within, oh, 3 miles of the airport.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 6:47am
Jayson,

It may be a dumb question but are you setting the altitude and distance into the destination airport?  I do not get the TOD either except when I set it in.   If you put a distance before into the destination airport field, it will default to field elevation initially in the altitude area and you will have a TOD.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 10:01am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Jayson,

It may be a dumb question but are you setting the altitude and distance into the destination airport?  I do not get the TOD either except when I set it in.   If you put a distance before into the destination airport field, it will default to field elevation initially in the altitude area and you will have a TOD.

I wasn't, but after reading the manual, I tried that and that's when I realized that the flight plan doesn't assume you'll be landing at your destination.  I'm going to start putting an altitude constraint at or before the airport to get the TOD, but it seems like it would be intuitive to default to landing at the destination.  It's not a big issue, but it seems like changing the constraint for the exception would be better than having to tell it I actually want to land on every flight.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 8:12pm

Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

the flight plan doesn't assume you'll be landing at your destination.  I'm going to start putting an altitude constraint at or before the airport to get the TOD

I found that all you have to do is scroll to your destination in the flight plan, and click (or touch) the altitude constraint field (just the last bubble where you would dial in the altitude value of the constraint) and that's it.  You don't have to select a distance, you don't have to select a constraint type, you don't even have to select the altitude.  All of that stuff is filled in automatically the moment you click in the altitude block.  So at least it's a one-touch solution.

That said, I also completely agree that it's odd that the FMS doesn't assume that you will try to land at your destination.  Maybe they can put that on the wish list for a future software.

David

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Maybe they can put that on the wish list for a future software.

David

Done.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 8:30pm
I added a vertical constraint to todays destination and the tod worked great. I do not recall a chime, but i wasnt really listening for it either, i have the feature turned on. Thanks for adding the feature to the database.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 9:59pm
No chime with TOD as I recall either.  What a great feature though.  On destination Apt, all the 540 wants to know is how far out you want to be at 'pattern altitude'.  

If the Wish list assumed 4 miles (outer edge of class D, etc), this would be a great default starting point.

Tom
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 10:07pm
I'm not sure I understand the OP's problem as stated, but I get the chime on ILS approaches at GS intercept, which is exactly where it should be. This is very convenient as on my Bonanza (and I'm sure many other aircraft) this is essentially a gear down indication. I did have to have my shop double check the audio wiring to make this happen. If you are doing a straight 530 replacement, 99% of 530 installations didn't have audio out wired. The only ones that did were those with TAWS, which might have been some air carriers and such. So obviously, the audio out has to be wired to a non switched audio input on the audio panel for the chime to appear. Avidyne could do a better job of making this clear.

Rolfe
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 10:19pm
If you have the 530 TAWS audio pin wired, you do get a doorbell chime at the TOD marker.
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

If you have the 530 TAWS audio pin wired, you do get a doorbell chime at the TOD marker.

Exactly my point, but very few 530's had this wired, so you have to tell your installer to do it when you install the 540.

Rolfe
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 8:43am
Quote On destination Apt, all the 540 wants to know is how far out you want to be at 'pattern altitude'.

If the Wish list assumed 4 miles (outer edge of class D, etc), this would be a great default starting point.

?? Mine already knew.

All I did was tap the altitude window in the flight plan.  I didn't have to set any values at all.  Just tapping in the bottom right field in the destination airport in the flight plan produced a constraint that was a thousand feet above the field elevation and five miles before.

David

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic