Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Map for a Moment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Map for a Moment
    Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 9:22pm

I was viewing an airport (my destination) on the INFO tab of the FMS section.  When I pressed the MAP rocker, I noticed that the map showed a glimpse of a zoomed-in view of the airport before it would redraw the previous map view.

The glimpse view is not the same as the thumbnail view that was on the INFO tab, and it also is not the view I see when zooming in on the main map, and it is also not the view I see when using the Flight Plan Map view in the FMS section (when the view type is “Cursor”).

Is there a way to see the glimpse view for more than the moment it takes to redraw the previous map view?  It had a good view of the runways and the incoming flight path line.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 9:39am
What you're seeing is this (note from page 2-32 of the pilot guide):

NOTE

Map Switches                                                          Switching between the thumbnail map on the INFO tab and the main map on the MAP tab may result in a 1-2 second delay as the new map re-sizes.

It's an artifact of context switching and not a "missing" feature.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 11:11am

I didn't mean to imply that anything was missing.  I just thought it was a cool view.

So if I want to see that view, what is the scale?  How far must I zoom in?

I tried to get there by just zooming in on the map, but it seemed like the airport stayed an airport symbol (magenta circle with a white runway line).  I never saw it change to a runway layout presentation.

David

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 12:56pm
Not sure I understand the question so let me try to answer two questions:

1.  What range do I need to zoom the map in such that if an airport was in the field of view, when can I see runways and their labeling?    Answer = inside 10nm.

2.  On the INFO tab of the FMS, how can I see the runway orientation?  Answer = it automatically resizes to show that presuming the entity you are trying to see info on is an airport.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 3:41pm

Okay, thanks.  Just so I understand, when you say "inside 10nm" that means that '10' is the number I see on the outer ring of the map display, right?  The inner ring will show 5?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 4:31pm
Almost.  I'm not in front of a box right now but I *think* the next decrement inside of 10nm is 6nm for the outer ring.  That's the one I'm thinking of.  So, if my memory is right, it's outer ring of 6nm and inner ring of 3nm.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic